NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   DBS implants and ElectroMagnetic Fields (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/193672-dbs-implants-electromagnetic-fields.html)

libra 09-03-2013 10:35 PM

DBS implants and ElectroMagnetic Fields

I have agreed to go ahead with DBS sometime in October. While I was laying down resting, I had a horrible thought. We live near some very high power transmission lines. The transmission corridor is right up to our back fence.

I worked for a utility company and did all the research before moving into this house and felt that it wouldn't be a health risk.

Now however, that I am having DBS, I am worried about the possible health risk due to dbs implants and close proximity to the transmission lines.

Does anyone have any information on this. I am going to talk to my doc and do some research, but wondered if anyone else has considered this.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

made it up 09-03-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libra (Post 1012184)
I have agreed to go ahead with DBS sometime in October. While I was laying down resting, I had a horrible thought. We live near some very high power transmission lines. The transmission corridor is right up to our back fence.

I worked for a utility company and did all the research before moving into this house and felt that it wouldn't be a health risk.

Now however, that I am having DBS, I am worried about the possible health risk due to dbs implants and close proximity to the transmission lines.

Does anyone have any information on this. I am going to talk to my doc and do some research, but wondered if anyone else has considered this.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Libra, hi,
I'm coming up soon to 10 yrs since DBS and I think I've seen posts regarding this on the yahoo DBS website.
You'll find someone there I'm fairly certain who'll come up with something on that topic.
Best wishes for your DBS.

libra 09-04-2013 10:21 PM

That is encouraging to hear that you had dbs 10 years ago and it sounds like you are doing good. I will check the yahoo DBS website, thank you.

ventura718 10-17-2013 09:02 PM

question about your pd

Quote:

Originally Posted by made it up (Post 1012195)
Libra, hi,
I'm coming up soon to 10 yrs since DBS and I think I've seen posts regarding this on the yahoo DBS website.
You'll find someone there I'm fairly certain who'll come up with something on that topic.
Best wishes for your DBS.

how was your pd before dbs and how is after dbs? my mom has pd and the dbs and she has a lot of non motor symptoms, some dyskenisia on R. foot, no tremors and she's always saying she feels bad... i think mainly because of the non motor stuff...

non motor she feels like: her stomach is tight bloated, like if she had a ball in her stomach, itching on her body, feels like her esophagus is closing...
doctors don't know how to treat this they tell her.

her walking is "ok"

i appreciate your thoughts

made it up 10-17-2013 11:54 PM

Ventura

Quote:

Originally Posted by ventura718 (Post 1023064)
how was your pd before dbs and how is after dbs? my mom has pd and the dbs and she has a lot of non motor symptoms, some dyskenisia on R. foot, no tremors and she's always saying she feels bad... i think mainly because of the non motor stuff...

non motor she feels like: her stomach is tight bloated, like if she had a ball in her stomach, itching on her body, feels like her esophagus is closing...
doctors don't know how to treat this they tell her.

her walking is "ok"

i appreciate your thoughts

ventura,
I had an increasingly poor quality of life before DBS long unpredictable offs ons with dyskinesia.
One thing that I feel needs mentioning is that I was formally diagnosed with
PD 10 yrs before the surgery at 35 so I have had the advantage of being relatively young and in otherwise good health. Am not sure how old your mum is and think that may be a contributing factor to her outcome.
Her itch, not sure if that could be a PD symptom, anyone else like to answer that?
DBS gave me back my life, personally I think go for it.
It turns back the clock on PD... I'll cover myself here by saying it did for me!