NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Praying I don't have another... (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/193753-praying-dont.html)

drod313 09-05-2013 03:18 PM

Praying I don't have another...

I am about 13 months removed from my last concussion, I have been feeling 100% for the past 4 months, living life normally again (finally)... I was playing basketball last night, which I have been doing regularly without any problem.. but I took an inadvertent elbow straight to the middle of my nose.. I did what anyone would do, just kind of grabbed at it and my eyes watered up as anyones usually do..

I felt a little weird after it happend, but didn't black out, or lose consciousness or anything of that sort at all.. I continued playing and felt fine, after I left the gym I felt a little woozy with a slight headache, but nothing terrible.. this morning I feel a little bit of lingering headached and still a bit off.. do I have another concussion or did I just take a nice shot to the nose?

Can someone please re-assure me I'm ok and just overthinking it? Like I said, I didn't black out or lose consciousness felt fine and was easily able to keep playing.. I also have been doing all the tests and have been able to do them fine.. walk in a straight line.. stand on one leg.. stand with my eyes closed and keep my balance.. please let me know your thoughts, thank you.

D

Mark in Idaho 09-05-2013 05:38 PM

I will definitely not reassure you. Contact sports are not a good idea while recovering from a concussion. Even after maximizing your recovery, You still need to be extra cautious. After a first concussion that causes prolonged symptoms, the next concussion will usually be much worse.

drod313 09-09-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1012602)
I will definitely not reassure you. Contact sports are not a good idea while recovering from a concussion. Even after maximizing your recovery, You still need to be extra cautious. After a first concussion that causes prolonged symptoms, the next concussion will usually be much worse.

Mark, if I didn't lose consciousness or anything was it definitely still a concussion or could it have been something else?

Thanks,
D

Wndswptlady 09-09-2013 05:32 PM

The fact that you still feel a bit off and have a slight headache should be of concern. You are going to need that brain of yours for many, many more years! :) I would suggest a medical evaluation to be sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drod313 (Post 1012564)
I am about 13 months removed from my last concussion, I have been feeling 100% for the past 4 months, living life normally again (finally)... I was playing basketball last night, which I have been doing regularly without any problem.. but I took an inadvertent elbow straight to the middle of my nose.. I did what anyone would do, just kind of grabbed at it and my eyes watered up as anyones usually do..

I felt a little weird after it happend, but didn't black out, or lose consciousness or anything of that sort at all.. I continued playing and felt fine, after I left the gym I felt a little woozy with a slight headache, but nothing terrible.. this morning I feel a little bit of lingering headached and still a bit off.. do I have another concussion or did I just take a nice shot to the nose?

Can someone please re-assure me I'm ok and just overthinking it? Like I said, I didn't black out or lose consciousness felt fine and was easily able to keep playing.. I also have been doing all the tests and have been able to do them fine.. walk in a straight line.. stand on one leg.. stand with my eyes closed and keep my balance.. please let me know your thoughts, thank you.

D