NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Multiple Sclerosis or Post Concussion Syndrome? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/194064-multiple-sclerosis-post-concussion-syndrome.html)

mrtamnus1 09-12-2013 04:20 PM

Multiple Sclerosis or Post Concussion Syndrome?

Curious if anyone else after suffering a concussion has had random muscle jerking movements. I have noticed since my concussion 3 months ago i sometimes have moments were one of my arms moves by itself for a second, especially when i am about to go to bed. The only other thing i could think of that could do this is MS but it seems that almost all the side effects of MS are the same as the result from a concussion. However IDK if muscle spasms and arm and leg movement is a symptom of a concussion or a much larger issue. im 23 btw,

brokenbrilliant 09-13-2013 07:49 AM

When I am about to fall asleep, one of my limbs usually jerks wildly. And then it lets go, and I fall asleep.

I do not have MS - this has been happening as long as I can remember.

rob_d87 09-13-2013 10:18 AM

Yep, don't concern yourself too much about it. MS would be a long shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtamnus1 (Post 1014204)
Curious if anyone else after suffering a concussion has had random muscle jerking movements. I have noticed since my concussion 3 months ago i sometimes have moments were one of my arms moves by itself for a second, especially when i am about to go to bed. The only other thing i could think of that could do this is MS but it seems that almost all the side effects of MS are the same as the result from a concussion. However IDK if muscle spasms and arm and leg movement is a symptom of a concussion or a much larger issue. im 23 btw,

EsthersDoll 09-13-2013 08:47 PM

I had a lot of muscle spasms after the accident I was in.

Muscle Spasms can be caused by hormonal deficiencies and/or nutritional deficiencies that the concussion may have caused or exacerbated.

Give it some time, they'll most likely get better on their own. Try to exercise lightly to tolerance to keep fit and eat a well balanced diet with nutritional supplements as needed.

Three years after the concussion I sustained in an MVA the docs finally figured out that the accident or concussion caused some hormonal deficiencies in me. Since I've been taking hormone replacement therapy, the muscle spasms have improved quite a bit! They are almost completely gone now, I think, for the most part.

I was inactive for a little over three years, though, so now I get them when I try to do more than my body is prepared to do! I am working on rebuilding my stamina and strength though (now that I'm finally able to!) and I expect even these spasms to go away in time.