NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   CRPS Pain Triggering Heart Attack? (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/195130-crps-pain-triggering-heart-attack.html)

kellyma1973 10-04-2013 05:14 PM

CRPS Pain Triggering Heart Attack?

Is this possible? Sometimes when the pain is severe, I feel pressure in my chest. I'm only 40 and relatively healthy, but have family history of heart disease and young heart attack. I just want to know if the relationship is possible, so I can watch out for symptoms and let my doctor know (if I can ever get an appointment). Thanks. Mack

Dr. Smith 10-04-2013 11:42 PM

Hi Mack,

I've read that a heart attack may bring on CRPS; I've not heard it the other way around, but I don't know for sure. If you haven't yet already, I'd ask on the CRPS forum

That said, I wouldn't wait around to have a heart attack to call your doctor. Many/most doctors nowadays have time set aside in their schedules for urgent care patients, so you should be able to get in within 24-48 hrs. At the very least, call your doctor and relate your symptoms and concerns.

heart attack symptoms

If you really think it's your heart, and not just anxiety, I think you should go into the ER and get checked out.

Doc

Fixmeup11 10-06-2013 02:23 PM

info

I read that when you are having killer pain, it can raise your pulse and blood pressure. Toss in some anxiety and it can lead to stroke/heart attack.

pete81241 10-10-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyma1973 (Post 1019870)
Is this possible? Sometimes when the pain is severe, I feel pressure in my chest. I'm only 40 and relatively healthy, but have family history of heart disease and young heart attack. I just want to know if the relationship is possible, so I can watch out for symptoms and let my doctor know (if I can ever get an appointment). Thanks. Mack

hi mack...
just the fact you have had this negative genetic history means you have to be cautious. now that doesnt mean going to the ER. but seeing a cardiologist and getting his opinion is a must. pressure in your chest isnt to be taken lightly. there are so many tests available now that a cardiologist should be able to advise you of any problems.
i too have suffered severe pain and i know it puts stress on my heart. i recall getting more palpitations when under severe pain. one time i even felt like i was passing out.
be familiar with symptoms of heart trouble, like chest or stomach pain, shortness of breath, pain on exertion, sweating and feeling extremely tired or weak.
of course watching your diet and getting healthy exersise will help in the long run.
chronic pain from crps is terribleand i hope your doc has found solutions for you....pete

Dr. Smith 10-12-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 1019931)
I've read that a heart attack may bring on CRPS; I've not heard it the other way around, but I don't know for sure.

Well, I've read it—and know—now (ostensibly)! :Ponder:

Treat the Pain... Save a Heart

Sudden, Unexpected Death in Chronic Pain Patients

Doc