NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   missing person (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/196484-missing-person.html)

vinman5959 10-31-2013 05:40 AM

missing person

My daughters husband went missing nearly five months ago. He is receiving ssdi. They have four children together. She has not reported him missing to social security yet. She would like to know how this may effect her children's benefits. She's unsure if she should report it, or not at this time. She's afraid that her children's benefits may be affected. she has not use his portion of his benefits in fear that she may have too pay it back... can someone help please if they have any information that maybe helpful..thank you.
vinman

LIT LOVE 10-31-2013 07:51 AM

She needs to notify them asap. It could be fraud if she doesn't. The children's benefits will not be decreased anyway. Generally children receive 50% of their disabled parents benefits, and this would apparently increase to 75%.

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/onyourown5.htm

vinman5959 10-31-2013 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=LIT LOVE;1025804]She needs to notify them asap. It could be fraud if she doesn't. The children's benefits will not be decreased anyway. Generally children receive 50% of their disabled parents benefits, and this would apparently increase to 75

Thank you very much, i did inform my daughter and she will be reporting it to SSA. Its been a very difficult time for her, not knowing where her husband is.. We are presuming that he is no longer with us because of some of the not so good things we had heard.... Hopefully SSA will understand her dilemma. again thank you much.
vinman

Mz Migraine 10-31-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

My daughters husband went missing nearly five months ago.
Quote:

She has not reported him missing to social security yet.
:eek:

Hopefully, this has been reported to the police by now!

vinman5959 10-31-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mz Migraine (Post 1025881)
:eek:

Hopefully, this has been reported to the police by now!

She reported him missing after the first week. There has been an ongoing investigation.... Its been in the local newspaper, and on the local news a few times.....

vinman5959 10-31-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinman5959 (Post 1025884)
She reported him missing after the first week. There has been an ongoing investigation.... Its been in the local newspaper, and on the local news a few times.....

Btw, will the kids still continue to receive disability even though he is missing? What happens when review time comes around, and he is still missing? Would this be the same as if he would be deceased? If its not to much to ask, could someone go more into detail, and educate me the best they can, not even sure if there is more questions, or the right questions that i should be asking....:confused:

Jomar 10-31-2013 03:29 PM

I'm not sure how the SSDI part would be affected by him missing, but at some point the kids would get Social Security benefits if missing parent is after some time frame pronounced deceased. If never found.

Mz Migraine 10-31-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinman5959 (Post 1025897)
Btw, will the kids still continue to receive disability even though he is missing? What happens when review time comes around, and he is still missing? Would this be the same as if he would be deceased? If its not to much to ask, could someone go more into detail, and educate me the best they can, not even sure if there is more questions, or the right questions that i should be asking....:confused:

DUE TO YOUR DAUGHTER'S SITUATION......

Your questions can be best answered if you & your daughter go down to your local SS office. Your daughter needs to get the correct info directly from the horses mouth instead of from complete strangers on a message board. Especially when minors are involved. If you do this, take a notebook & pen as well a copy of the police report. Take notes! Write down names & their position of everyone you speak to.
Give the SS rep the names & phone #s of the PO who are investigating.
If SS sets up their own investigating (SIU) file, make sure your daughter get the file case number.

GOOD LUCK! :hug:

vinman5959 10-31-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mz Migraine (Post 1025951)
DUE TO YOUR DAUGHTER'S SITUATION......

Your questions can be best answered if you & your daughter go down to your local SS office. Your daughter needs to get the correct info directly from the horses mouth instead of from complete strangers on a message board. Especially when minors are involved. If you do this, take a notebook & pen as well a copy of the police report. Take notes! Write down names & their position of everyone you speak to.
Give the SS rep the names & phone #s of the PO who are investigating.
If SS sets up their own investigating (SIU) file, make sure your daughter get the file case number.

GOOD LUCK! :hug:

Thank you for the reply, my daughter will be contacting ss and will do i guess what ever is required of her. Just wanted to have a heads up on what may happened in her case , and if anyone went through something similar as to her.. I do know that its best to hear it from the horses mouth though... thank you again for the info....

finz 10-31-2013 11:48 PM

Good luck helping your daughter and her kids through this difficult time, vinman.