NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Mass gen or john Hopkins for tos surgery? (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/196593-mass-gen-john-hopkins-tos-surgery.html)

abegins 11-01-2013 10:24 PM

Mass gen or john Hopkins for tos surgery?

Any thoughts or experiences?

jkl626 11-02-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abegins (Post 1026203)
Any thoughts or experiences?

More people have talked about excellent experiences with Dr. donohue at MGH than with Dr. Freislag at John Hopkins. You can do a search to find the posts

heybro 11-03-2013 12:58 AM

i cannot say enough good things about mgh
have heard many horror stories about jh

Teddyballgame 11-04-2013 12:58 AM

MGH or Hopkins

Had a terrific experience with Dean Donahue at MGH leading to my pec minor tenotomy last week. Still early for comment on my TOS relief but the testing and the time spent with the surgeon was exceptionally great...the rationale was crystal clear.

Anne4tos 11-04-2013 11:06 AM

Dr. Freischlag is moving from John Hopkins to UCSD.

Teddyballgame 11-04-2013 01:38 PM

MGH or Hopkins.

Had a pec minor tenotomy last week with Dr. Donahue following same side Botox injections plus assessment, following diagnostics=A and V Doppler with provocation, CT with dye(with special algorithm he uses to improve imaging), and EMG, following TOS specific PT for almost six months. I read about Hopkins from their website and saw YouTube presentations by their surgery boss. I also saw a Dr. Donahue presentation from a link from this site which was impressive. My and friend's MGH experiences are significantly better than what we have in the community where I was "lost" for about a year.

My second choice would have been Washington University in St. Louis where they've been doing TOS research since the mid 90's or Baylor where Chris Carpenter, baseball pitcher, went for treatment.

The significance in finding an expert provider is the specificity and the reliability of the intervention. For example, many other conditions mimic TOS, some TOS responds to expert TOS PT, some to Botox, and in my case, I hope, a simple tenotomy instead of a full decompression, will resolve my symptoms.

As a nurse, I was most impressed with the time he took carefully assessing
my presentation and the folks who work with him, they shine! Hospital folks are usually quite frank with their opinion...Donahue has quite a large bragging crew at MGH and in the Boston area.

Anne4tos 11-04-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne4tos (Post 1026805)
Dr. Freischlag is moving from John Hopkins to UCSD.

Sorry! It's UCD. My brain is on college acronym overload. D as in Davis.

cyclist 11-04-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne4tos (Post 1026912)
Sorry! It's UCD. My brain is on college acronym overload. D as in Davis.

That's not to far from me. Thanks for sharing the info.
Do you know when it is happening?

Anne4tos 11-05-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclist (Post 1026935)
That's not to far from me. Thanks for sharing the info.
Do you know when it is happening?

February 10, 2014

Davis will still have an excellent vet and viticulture program.

jkl626 11-05-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teddyballgame (Post 1026709)
Had a terrific experience with Dean Donahue at MGH leading to my pec minor tenotomy last week. Still early for comment on my TOS relief but the testing and the time spent with the surgeon was exceptionally great...the rationale was crystal clear.

keep us posted on your recovery!