NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Small bump above last molar? (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/196628-bump-molar.html)

Jae556 11-02-2013 05:52 PM

Small bump above last molar?

Hi Bryanna,

I was brushing my teeth and noticed that I had a hard bump above my last top left molar (the one right before my extraction site from a few months ago) it doesn't hurt unless I touch it. I have a dentist appointment December 9,

What could this be (I just noticed it today) and could salt water help until my appointment in December?

Thanks!

Bryanna 11-02-2013 06:10 PM

Hi Jae,

Don't touch it too much. But..... is the bump hard like bone or a bit mushy like a cyst or pimple?
Does it look a pimple..... red and sore?

Is this tooth root canaled or does it have a large filling or crown on it?

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jae556 (Post 1026388)
Hi Bryanna,

I was brushing my teeth and noticed that I had a hard bump above my last top left molar (the one right before my extraction site from a few months ago) it doesn't hurt unless I touch it. I have a dentist appointment December 9,

What could this be (I just noticed it today) and could salt water help until my appointment in December?

Thanks!

Jae556 11-03-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanna (Post 1026394)
Hi Jae,

Don't touch it too much. But..... is the bump hard like bone or a bit mushy like a cyst or pimple?
Does it look a pimple..... red and sore?

Is this tooth root canaled or does it have a large filling or crown on it?

Bryanna

Its hard, I tried looking it in the mirror but had difficulty seeing the bump but it did look pretty red back there. I believe there's there's a small filling in that tooth (I can't remember what took had the cavity in it)

could a salt water rinse help?

Bryanna 11-03-2013 01:24 PM

Hi Jae,

Because your description makes me think the bump is very high up, I think it may be that you may have developed a canker sore along the bony ridge. This can happen from hitting that area with your toothbrush or scratching it with a piece of crusty bread or food. A canker sore or some type of an ulceration would feel sore to the touch, acidic foods may bother it and it can become inflamed and very red. It would not hurt to rinse with warm salt water a few times a day for a few days and see if that helps. These types of sores can last from 7-21 days. Usually they are the most uncomfortable for the first week and then slowly taper off.

If the area becomes more swollen ... you develop a fever or other sign of possible infection... or the tooth starts to hurt, then see your dentist sooner than December.

Hope this is helpful to you. Keep us posted.
Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jae556 (Post 1026557)
Its hard, I tried looking it in the mirror but had difficulty seeing the bump but it did look pretty red back there. I believe there's there's a small filling in that tooth (I can't remember what took had the cavity in it)

could a salt water rinse help?

Jae556 11-03-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanna (Post 1026599)
Hi Jae,

Because your description makes me think the bump is very high up, I think it may be that you may have developed a canker sore along the bony ridge. This can happen from hitting that area with your toothbrush or scratching it with a piece of crusty bread or food. A canker sore or some type of an ulceration would feel sore to the touch, acidic foods may bother it and it can become inflamed and very red. It would not hurt to rinse with warm salt water a few times a day for a few days and see if that helps. These types of sores can last from 7-21 days. Usually they are the most uncomfortable for the first week and then slowly taper off.

If the area becomes more swollen ... you develop a fever or other sign of possible infection... or the tooth starts to hurt, then see your dentist sooner than December.

Hope this is helpful to you. Keep us posted.
Bryanna

Hi Bryanna,

It is very high up and I was thinking that it could be a canker sore. I'll keep you all posted :) Thanks for the help!