NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Shingles Vaccine (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/196766-shingles-vaccine.html)

Southern Bell 11-06-2013 12:09 PM

Shingles Vaccine

I hope that someone has information on this issue. I am pretty sure that I am not eligible to receive the vaccine because of my comprimised immune system but my husband is wondering if it is possible for him to have it.

Our internist has given my husband a script for the shot and he knows my situation, but we have received conflicting information from two difference shot providers. One has said that we will need to stay apart for a period of time (not sure how long) the other provider said he didn't think there would be a problem from the beginning.

I have a call into my neuro (who is out of town this week) to see what his thoughts are on the matter but I was hoping someone on this wonderful site has some information or experience with the vaccine.

Thanks for your help.

Southern Bell
:grouphug:

Kim12 11-06-2013 02:06 PM

Prior to starting Cellcept my neuro had me get a shingles shot (and a pheumonia shot). I had to wait one month after the Shingle shot to start Cellcept. I had no problems.

Juanitad 11-06-2013 04:51 PM

My doc would not give me the shingles vaccine because it is a live virus. Don't know how it would affect you if your husband got it and you didn't.

cait24 11-06-2013 07:24 PM

My doctor told me that me or any one that lives in my house should not receive any live virus. I would then be exposed to the live virus.

thanks
kathie

pingpongman 11-06-2013 08:42 PM

That's what both of my Neuro's told me.
Mike

mrsD 11-07-2013 05:47 AM

If you have already had chickenpox, I would think your risk would be minimal.

However, the strain of chickenpox used in the vaccine is not necessarily the strain most people have been exposed to.

This is why the vaccine only works about in 50% who receive it.
So if you had chickenpox in the past, your chances of contracting a new strain do exist with the current vaccine, it is just difficult to predict anything with a vaccine like this with a poor tract record.

robocar 11-07-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1027420)
If you have already had chickenpox, I would think your risk would be minimal.

However, the strain of chickenpox used in the vaccine is not necessarily the strain most people have been exposed to.

This is why the vaccine only works about in 50% who receive it.
So if you had chickenpox in the past, your chances of contracting a new strain do exist with the current vaccine, it is just difficult to predict anything with a vaccine like this with a poor tract record.

I take cellcept, prednisone and IVIG every 2 weeks. I was told by my PCP to get the shingles vaccine as the consequences of not getting it were far worse than getting shingles. My husband got it first so that I would be exposed in a minimal way. 2 weeks later I got it at the end of an IVIG cycle per my neuro's instructions. I had no adverse reaction at all and neuro said it's possible I wouldn't self-produce a lot of antibodies to the virus due to the immunosuppression. I did have chickenpox as a child. I think this is a very tricky thing to predict what is going to happen. I felt like I took a deck of cards, threw them in the air and watched them fall as far as side effects go and if the vaccine would be effective.

Southern Bell 11-07-2013 07:38 PM

Thanks to all who have responded. I think I should wait to get the opinion from my neuro because of my individual situation. Hopefully he'll be able to ease my worries.

Thanks again.

Southern Bell
:grouphug:

cait24 11-07-2013 11:58 PM

I have already had shingles. Does that make me more or less likely to get shingles again?

thanks
kathie

mrsD 11-08-2013 05:17 AM

Yes, you can get Shingles more than once:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...n-than-thought

You can also just get the pain event without the rash/vesicles.
I have seen people online with severe pain, use an antiviral orally and the pain fades.

The Herpes Zoster virus lives in your nerve tissue for life. It can erupt anytime arginine is in excess (from diet or supplements), when lysine is low, or when the immune system is depressed.