NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Tourette Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/tourette-syndrome/)
-   -   Wisdom Teeth (https://www.neurotalk.org/tourette-syndrome/19677-wisdom-teeth.html)

FeelinGoofy 05-15-2007 08:02 AM

Wisdom Teeth

Scott is having his wisdom teeth out on Friday... I really wanted to wait until school was out but he has been in so much pain and wants them out NOW!!!!
Any advice will be most appreciated. They are going to put him out to do it.
thanks.... Vicky

Curious 05-15-2007 09:29 AM

aww shucks.

there are some posts on the dentistry forum. also lizard has a thread on weight loss.

my son had his pulled a year ago. my daughter a few months before him.

tips:

get his immune system up. take zinc.

make sure scott realizes he has to REST!! no talking. no drinking from staws. soft soft foods. keep the holes packed. take ALL the antibiotics. don't be afraid of taking the pain meds. from what my daughter said...when she tried to be tough...grimacing because of pain caused her MORE pain.

my daughter got dry socket. she used a straw...and talked and talked. bubba..he listened...no problems at all. even went back to soccer practice and games in less than a week. mega vitamins. ate lots of protien.

Chemar 05-15-2007 11:19 AM

that is such good advice from Curious there Vicky that all I can add is a :hug: and prayers it will all go smoothly as possible

in addition to building immune system prior to the surgery, I would also suggest magnesium supplement (that new Natural Calm drinkable mag powder is getting rave reviews re tic reduction) and of course the Epsom Salts baths are a real help too
I dont know what it is like for Scott, but dental stuff is always a tic trigger for my son. Magnesium always helps him when in major waxing mode

having my own toothy pain at present so he has my sincere sympathy!:hug:

Lara 05-15-2007 03:17 PM

All the best to your son with having this done. I had to have mine done when I was in my mid 20's and it was a pain.

It'll be harder if he has a lot of facial or phonic tics that use the muscles around the jaw. Oral surgeons here will prescribe a fairly strong painkiller for a couple of days. This might have the added benefit of calming any potential tics. The good thing about the mouth is that it heals so fast. Great advice from everyone else. He'll feel much better generally when this is out of the way.

FeelinGoofy 05-15-2007 07:42 PM

thanks guys.... he has horrible teeth clicking tics... right now hes not doing them, but who knows what this surgery will trigger...
I'll have to get him some zinc....and magnesium.
i think i'm more nervous about this than he is.... :rolleyes:

Hes already ordered potato soup and vanilla milkshakes LOL....

Lara 05-15-2007 08:31 PM

Vicky, he might find that after the surgery part and healing part are over, his mouth tics might actually settle down 'cause he won't have that feeling of pain and pressure in there that the wisdom teeth must be causing.

Curious 05-15-2007 09:40 PM

vicky..what about pm'ing or emailing who moi..and ask him if has had his wisdom teeth pulled?

FeelinGoofy 05-15-2007 09:53 PM

My dear sweet Monkey friend...... YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Curious 05-15-2007 10:00 PM

:D i am...ain't i?

hehehe...

:hug:

Chemar 05-16-2007 01:22 PM

brilliant and modest, monkey :D