NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   VTOS Reoccurrence? (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/196814-vtos-reoccurrence.html)

Emilina 11-07-2013 02:38 PM

VTOS Reoccurrence?

Hey all!
As I am currently healing up from my rib resection surgery I can't help but be a bit paranoid... Has any one with Paget Schroetter's or VTOS had the surgery and then had symptoms return on that same side? What about developing symptoms on the opposite side? I know it's silly but I'm turning every little itch into a blood clot :p

curby 11-07-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilina (Post 1027524)
Hey all!
As I am currently healing up from my rib resection surgery I can't help but be a bit paranoid... Has any one with Paget Schroetter's or VTOS had the surgery and then had symptoms return on that same side? What about developing symptoms on the opposite side? I know it's silly but I'm turning every little itch into a blood clot :p

I am way behind you with this, so can't answer your question. But how are you feeling post surgery?

Emilina 11-07-2013 09:57 PM

Hi Curby,
I'm great! Today is 6 weeks post-op for me and I almost feel normal aside from being slightly tighter and weaker than I was before. Everything appears to be normal but in December (after I'm supposed to come off the blood thinners and put this all behind me) I am going to have an ultrasound just for my peace of mind, to make sure that nothing is hiding in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by curby (Post 1027593)
I am way behind you with this, so can't answer your question. But how are you feeling post surgery?

Jomar 11-07-2013 10:12 PM

Did you have the surgery in Oregon?
If so what Dr & hospital?

As to re occurrence , anything is possible. But usually not this soon unless something else was the cause..

Did tests show a clear cause of compression for you, or did you start having blot clots, so surgery was fairly urgent?

Emilina 11-07-2013 10:33 PM

Yes, I had surgery at Rogue Regency Medical Center in Medford, Oregon. The doctor was vascular surgeon David Street.

I had straight up Paget Schroetter Syndrome with fairly urgent surgery. I developed a swollen arm which was from a blood clot with no other symptoms until it was obvious. I was admitted to the hospital right from my first appointment with Dr. Street, had a venogram that showed the blood flow stopped at the first rib, clot buster for 2 days and surgery the 3rd day. He said it was all pretty textbook for me.

Nothing has happened that would make me think it's reoccurring or happening on the other side. I just asked because it took me so much by surprise that it happened at all and I want to be prepared for anything! This experience has made me super paranoid. The surgeon said he couldn't legally promise me it would never happen again but he was 99% sure in my case that it wouldn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 1027606)
Did you have the surgery in Oregon?
If so what Dr & hospital?

As to re occurrence , anything is possible. But usually not this soon unless something else was the cause..

Did tests show a clear cause of compression for you, or did you start having blot clots, so surgery was fairly urgent?

CarenAnne 11-08-2018 08:45 AM

Recently Diagnosed

I am really late to this post, but I was just diagnosed with Paget Schroetter and will have rib resection surgery next month. Emilina, I read your original pot and my symptoms are identical!
I am wondering - how long did recovery take before you were able to be active again? I teach group fitness classes and love exercising...it keeps me mentally healthy...and I am anxious to know when I might realistically be able to start building strength and endurance again.
I am also curious about how many women have PS or TOS. I read that if affects men 2-1 over women.
I'd love to hear more experiences with recovery from the rib resection surgery!

Thanks!
Caren

Jomar 11-08-2018 11:41 AM

Hi, I'm not sure about the PS ratio , but many more women get TOS than men..
Possibly due to the smaller bone structure in the female chest/shoulder area vs male..
Carrying purses, children, grocery bags, large bra size are other added factors..

JessicaTOS 11-11-2018 10:19 PM

I have not had the surgery myself, but I'm a part of a few TOS groups.

Recovery times seem to vary wildly for FRR. I checked some of the posts and the time to go back to a non-demanding job seems to be 6 weeks - 5 months, while the "full recovery" takes 6 months to two years, as nerves can take a long time to fully heal and bounce back.

This is second hand info though. I hope someone who's had the surgery personally can respond to you!