NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   New PCS symptoms or something else? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/197212-pcs-symptoms-else.html)

Noland 11-16-2013 07:30 AM

New PCS symptoms or something else?

I've been dealing with constant classic PCS symptoms since I sustained a hockey related concussion almost a year ago last December.

My memory and light and noise sensitivity have been improving. My head sensitivity to the slightest movements has not improved at all.

Within the past 5 weeks I have developed dizziness/ vertigo and weakness in my knees. Sometimes i feel like I'm having a hot flash or have a fever but my temp is always normal.

When in large crowds (I am a high school administrator) such as the cafeteria, it seems worse and I have almost passed out several times. I am avoiding this part of my work now.

My primary care physician thinks that I am nuts and I am starting to think the same. He wants to put me on anxiety meds. I honestly don't feel Very anxious. All of my lab and blood work has come back negative.

Could these new symptoms be concussion related?
Would my MRI last year that ruled out bleeding , detect other brain related issues if they were present?
I was not tested for Lyme disease but probably should be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks,

Nolan

Lightrail11 11-16-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noland (Post 1029576)
My primary care physician thinks that I am nuts and I am starting to think the same. He wants to put me on anxiety meds. I honestly don't feel Very anxious. All of my lab and blood work has come back negative.

Could these new symptoms be concussion related?
Would my MRI last year that ruled out bleeding , detect other brain related issues if they were present?
I was not tested for Lyme disease but probably should be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks,

Nolan

The symptoms could be concussion related, there could be some clotting, mini-stroke, it could be any number of things. I suggest a referral to a neurologist, a MRI a year ago doesn't mean there isn't something else going on now. Do it now rather than waiting.

If you do lose consciousness (likely given your description of your symptoms) you could hit your head again causing further injury.

Mark in Idaho 11-16-2013 07:53 PM

Your brain can be reacting to over-stimulation with an anxiety like symptom. Anti-anxiety drugs can help but need to be a last resort.

B vitamins help the brain tolerate stress. A B-50 complex plus 500 to 1000 mcgs of methycobalamin B-12 and 100 mgs of B-6 would be a good start.

I start my day with a 500 mcg B-12 lozenge. I chew it and let it absorb in my mouth. The rest of the B regimen are important for balance.

The Vitamins sticky at the top lists the whole vitamin regimen. I updated it later in that thread.

Noland 11-17-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1029744)
Your brain can be reacting to over-stimulation with an anxiety like symptom. Anti-anxiety drugs can help but need to be a last resort.

B vitamins help the brain tolerate stress. A B-50 complex plus 500 to 1000 mcgs of methycobalamin B-12 and 100 mgs of B-6 would be a good start.

I start my day with a 500 mcg B-12 lozenge. I chew it and let it absorb in my mouth. The rest of the B regimen are important for balance.

The Vitamins sticky at the top lists the whole vitamin regimen. I updated it later in that thread.

Thanks for the info. I will try out the vitamins.

Mark, I know that you have been dealing with head movement sensitivity for years. I have improved in every area but head sensitivity.

I'm starting to think that this is not going to go away. Why is there so little information available about this PCS condition?

Mark in Idaho 11-17-2013 11:18 AM

Symptoms with little know information are often symptoms with no treatment. If it can't be treated, these symptoms must not be real. Plus, the head movement symptom is subjective. There is no way a doctor can confirm your complaint.