NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Laptop lifespan (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/197711-laptop-lifespan.html)

zygopetalum 11-26-2013 11:07 PM

Laptop lifespan

How long does an average laptop last? My sis gave me this HP when it was 2, it is now 5 and the apple she got to replace it has died. I know someone else with a HP and it died at around 3. I think Facebook is hard on them?

thanks, just wondering.
judi

Jomar 11-26-2013 11:45 PM

I think there are so many variables to even guess..
I suppose the cheaper ones die sooner than the high end ones, but a lot of it is just luck and how it is used.

They can die due to viruses, operating system failures, or the actual internal parts.
If internal part failure- those can be replaced , but is it worth the money for parts (and labor) if you don't know how to replace the part yourself?

Kitt 11-27-2013 10:00 AM

I agree - too many variables. Ours last a long time. We try to take good care of them. We have frequently bought used refurbished ones which last a long time as well. Currently my HP is a new one and I've had it for quite some time.

mrsD 11-27-2013 10:07 AM

Hubby's laptops from work are HPs. They do not last long at all.
3yrs is ancient for a HP. The screens seem to be the most vulnerable.

Our Dell which is almost 10 yrs old, has a dead battery, and blew out its harddrive...but our son put in a new one and it still works.
We think it got too hot. So now we put pencils under it so the air
can circulate better. It still goes pretty well, but it is only a back up.

I personally like our tower, and when we replace it, it will be another tower. I don't like typing on laptops at all.

reesecups 11-27-2013 10:27 AM

I've got a pretty old Dell. Never gave me a problem for several years. It still works, but I found the DVD is not working on it anymore. No big deal for me ask I have an iPad I normally use. But I got my money's worth from Dell everytime.

Kitt 11-27-2013 10:42 AM

We have a chill plate I think it's called. Something like that. It is low and your laptop fits on top. Works great to help keep the computer from overheating especially in hot weather. This is extra cooling even though your computer has it's own built in. Love our laptops.

zygopetalum 11-27-2013 02:12 PM

Thanks, I was just wondering. I try to be nice to mine, I set it on old plastic cassette tape boxes I got at a thrift store and turn a small fan on if it seems to be getting warm. I think it is getting a little funky but it is going on 5 years now so may be entering screen senility. I think it was a mid-priced HP. My sis's Apple that died an early death was expensive and she was not happy, the dealership offered her a fix that cost so much it was cheaper to by another computer.

judi

Lara 11-27-2013 02:40 PM

Judi,
The main problem with my laptop (7 year old Compaq) is that it will only run on power now as the battery failed and can't recharge. It was my daughter's laptop so was pretty well used before it was handed down to me. The other problem is overheating. Overheating seems a common problem but on mine it's worse when running the dvd drive too long. Helps to transfer things over onto the actual computer to watch.

I am a bit like mrsD in that I liked my old tower. I particularly liked that I could open it up and clean it out and replace parts myself.

The "chill plate" for a laptop sounds like a great idea.

My daughter's MacBook overheats as well but it's kept very busy. It had a problem with the white rubber underneath the keyboard. Will post details below in case someone else has the same problem.

http://www.apple.com/au/support/macbook-bottomcase/
Quote:

Apple has determined that under certain circumstances the rubber surface on some MacBooks may separate from the bottom case of the system. MacBooks shipped between October 2009 and April 2011 may experience this issue.

Apple will replace the bottom case of any affected MacBook, free of charge, that exhibits the issue.

zygopetalum 11-28-2013 03:00 AM

I may just get a desk top when I need a new one unless they are obsolete and I don't know it. :)

My niece had some kind of cooling pad and hers died anyway but she may have murdered it trying to tweak it.

judi

jprinz99 12-02-2013 09:04 AM

my current laptop was purchased in 2003- runs fine. Laptops are notorious for having tiny fans - which can result in overheating.

A chill pad/fan device is a solution, as is any lowtech method of increasing the amount of cooler air circulating beneath the laptop. I happen to use a cooling rack for cookies/cakes/pies to elevate the laptop a bit off my desk. Work well, as do other non tech methods for increasing air circulation such as strips of wood, rulers, etc.