NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Needing Help!!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/198211-help.html)

poochie 12-05-2013 03:35 PM

Needing Help!!!!

Anyone taking Neurotin? It is making my feet swell and I'm not sure what else I can take to help nerve pain. NSAID's don't help. I had back surgery about 2 weeks ago and am waiting for the nerves to get back to normal. I thing I took Tegatrol several years ago for nerve pain and don't think it made the swelling as bad. The neurotin help a lot but the swelling is terrible.

NurseNancy 12-05-2013 03:50 PM

hi pooch,

are you sure the swelling is from the med? i would make your dr aware of this, especially since your surgery is so recent.

i am on lyrica. it's more expensive but it works well for me.
please let us know how you are.

clarkstar 12-05-2013 05:12 PM

i havent had any side effects from neurontin, please check with your doctor i havent heard of feet swelling from it before :confused:

lefthanded 12-05-2013 06:43 PM

Peripheral edema is one of the more common side effects of Neurontin. link

Erin524 12-05-2013 11:03 PM

Neurontin and Lyrica both make me swell up, and it's not an allergic swell-up, it's an edema swell up. I can't use either. Lyrica is worse for me. I don't touch the stuff.

tkrik 12-07-2013 07:07 PM

How long have you been taking the Neurontin?

I have been on it since 2003 for nerve pain. It's been a miracle drug for me. Years of nerve pain wiped out in one dose. I do know that at that time I was working in the hospital and had talked to a couple of drs. about it and did some research. I had never taken anything stronger than ibuprofen or Tylenol and even those I didn't take often. What I found that really helps is to amp up your dosages slowly. Don't start off with a high dose right away. For me, we started with just 300 mg a day and worked up to 600 mg a day. After a nasty flare, I went up to 900 mg a day but am back down to 600 mg at night. Drink plenty of water and fluids as this will help keep the swelling down. Take it close to a meal or with a meal and include protein with the meal. This definitely helps with side effects such as feeling a little drunk and swelling in addition to some others. These are the best 2 tips I received and I have not had a problem with taking Neurontin, and I'm really sensitive to medications and can't tolerate a lot of medications.

I do have to note, that for me going over the 900 mg a day gives me some not so pleasant side effects. Basically, I get extremely tearful. I would cry at the littlest things. So, 900 mg is my limit with Neurontin.

I hope you start feeling better soon and that your recovery from surgery remains uneventful.:hug:

Erika 12-07-2013 08:39 PM

I get the same reaction to Neurontin and Lyrica as Erin...edema. Even with drinking lots of fluids, my hands, then feet and face swell up first, and then the edema works its way in from there.

I'm glad that it works for you Trish.:)

With love, Erika