NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   "You Shall Not Pass, Dog"... says cat. (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/198312-pass-dog-cat.html)

mrsD 12-08-2013 09:43 AM

"You Shall Not Pass, Dog"... says cat.

This is funny:

Cats do this to each other too. I notice a couple of dogs didn't
read the cat body language (non aggressive) correctly...so that is the dog's problem.

But some of the cats had their ears down, and that is a true aggression sign (as is the tail twitch).

When our older cats did this to each other, the cat trying to pass just jumped over. No problemo that way! ;)

Cats carry grudges sometimes. I bet the dogs eat the cat's food, and that would then spill over into payback! LOL

Kitty 12-08-2013 10:54 AM

That was really cute.

I love how the dogs "talk" to the cats......like they're begging to be allowed to pass!

I also love the love pats the cats give the dogs if they dare to make it past them. :D

RSD ME 12-08-2013 10:04 PM

Thanks for the video Mrs. D. I needed the laugh! I thought my cats and dogs were the only ones like this.
My calico cat Cali lets my two dogs pass her on the stairs. But my 20 lb torte cat Snickers won't let anyone pass unless she decides to move first. My husband calls her the "Stair Master" who is "Large and In Charge!" I hope you have a happy holiday season with your family and furry babies. From your friend, Renee.

Sparky10 12-09-2013 10:18 AM

Oh how funny! I have that exact situation in my house. Thanks for posting the video!

Sparky10 12-10-2013 09:36 AM

Clips of this video were shown on Good Morning America today.

mrsD 12-10-2013 09:46 AM

Yes... this is a common thing people with multiple pets face, I think.
It is a very funny video. We've watched it several times already.
I like the little Corgi.... the best. But all of them were interesting and very different as well.

Our oldest cat Sheba (who is now at the Rainbow bridge)...used
to sit in a doorway so the other two could not get past.

They would watch for a few minutes, then jump over her, knowing she was unable to do anything but just sit there! LOL

Sometimes I think it is a game, and others, it feels like a payback of sorts, or perhaps an "Alpha" instinct to dominate everyone.

Dogs seem to have more problems with this situation. They don't really understand cats very well it seems?

Dr. Smith 12-10-2013 05:23 PM

I have to wonder how much is deference to the dogs' pack order with respect to the cats. We've had both situations, and only when the cat had superior standing would something like that happen. When the dogs dominated, it was usually the other way around. Most owners don't/won't tolerate the dog having dominance, so the dog won't act aggressively/dominantly toward the cat while the alpha (behind the camera) is present. Things may or may not be different in a situation without a human present, depending on which critter ranks higher in the dog's view.

We've seen it both ways.

Doc