NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   New, appt w/ Dr. Gelabert Wed, help w/questions before surgery (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/198347-appt-dr-gelabert-wed-help-questions-surgery.html)

klminsb 12-09-2013 03:54 AM

New, appt w/ Dr. Gelabert Wed, help w/questions before surgery

Hello,
I'm new here and was hoping someone could help me with questions I need to cover with Dr Gelabert regarding surgery.
I have already had MRA/MRI/MRV with Collins. 2 years of PT and my TOS has gotten worse. Finally realized I cannot avoid surgery any longer but it really frightens me. After being hit head on in a car accident 10 years ago, I lost count of how many surgeries I have had (lost left leg 3 years ago and left kidney 8 years ago). Think it is somewhere around 15 total surgeries since car accident.
I figured someone here has to have a great list of questions prepared. I have been told that I will probably need to have rib removal and scalenectomy on both sides.
Anyone done both sides at the same time?
Pros and cons?

husky601 12-09-2013 12:00 PM

Usually they do one side at the time for two reasons. They start with your left side if you are right handed. If anything really bad happen, let say the worse worse scenario like you loose your arm mobility, at least you still get you best side arm. The other reason and it's what i have. If the surgery is not success just like me they usually don't do the surgery on your other side because they can expect what is gonna be the result. I had a rib removal last April and unfortunately my condition is not better now so my doctor don't believe a success on my other side. Also they don't recommended to lift over 5 to 10 pounds for about 3 weeks after the surgery. I am not 100% sure but i think the surgery success are between 70 and 80% but if someone else can confirm that it will be great. I hope everything it's gonna go well for you and i tell you good luck!!!

Alexis

jkl626 12-09-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klminsb (Post 1035417)
Hello,
I'm new here and was hoping someone could help me with questions I need to cover with Dr Gelabert regarding surgery.
I have already had MRA/MRI/MRV with Collins. 2 years of PT and my TOS has gotten worse. Finally realized I cannot avoid surgery any longer but it really frightens me. After being hit head on in a car accident 10 years ago, I lost count of how many surgeries I have had (lost left leg 3 years ago and left kidney 8 years ago). Think it is somewhere around 15 total surgeries since car accident.
I figured someone here has to have a great list of questions prepared. I have been told that I will probably need to have rib removal and scalenectomy on both sides.
Anyone done both sides at the same time?
Pros and cons?

i have seen Dr. Gelabart and liked him alot. Best of the three in L.A. I decided not to opt for surgery at this point but if I were I would consider him. What did the MRA show? I am interested in doing it if my insurance covers it. I am sure others on this forum who have had surgery have a list of questions. Good luck and keep us posted.