NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Advice needed (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/198476-advice.html)

tonyh 12-11-2013 02:17 PM

Advice needed

Hello, almost 2 year ago I started experiencing an odd brain fog, and short term memory loss. It wasn't a normal "oops I forgot to pick up milk" forgetfulness, but a complete wiping of conversations, peoples names, and where I was driving to. This went on for about 6 months before I noticed a slight tremor in my right hand. I thought nothing of it, but was becoming concerned with the memory thing. So I went to see my GP. He checked blood for basics plus lupus, lyme, thyroid and vitamin B12. All fine. He ordered MRI of brain which was fine too. He then suggested that it could be depression. I did not feel depressed, but I guess I had to rule it out, so I have giving this some time. Time for me to relax, enjoy favorite things, etc. It has now been over 1 year, and I have odd tremors. While laying down or sitting, my right foot keeps moving back and forth. While driving, my right hand is doing the pill rolling motion. When getting up to walk my legs are stiff and achy and taking steps feels funny. When I try to start to an action, like type on the keyboard here or move to another room, I have to freeze first as if I'm afraid of falling. Then I can go. Since I am at work, I try and stop the movements of my foot, but that leads to some involuntary movements of my neck or arm or leg. Its as if I can't keep still and if I try it makes things worse. Sounds like Parkinson's yes? There are a few more little things, but basically all signs of PD. Yet, how would I know if this is all a depression/anxiety or a physical ailment? Is there an easy way for me to check for my own depression? In my worry I made an appointment at the neurology department at Robert Wood Johnson hospital (NJ) for next month. But I'm going to feel completely ridiculous going there and having someone tell me this is depression. Not to mention the cost involved in a needless visit. So, what would you do? It has been almost two years. Wouldn't the whole depression thing be gone by now? I was asked if I wanted to try Zoloft by my doc, but I don't feel like taking pills that I don't feel I need. If I were sad or upset, fine. The only thing that has changed mentally during this time is that I feel a little more on edge and snappy with people. Not sure if it's related to worrying about all this though.

soccertese 12-11-2013 03:18 PM

i was referred to a neurologist by my GP whom i visited with my only problem being difficulty rubbing my fingers together to clean my contact lenses.
i find it hard to believe your GP didn't discuss pd with you based on your symptoms and also having you get a MRI, i assume they were checking for cancer, stroke, MS. And he/she didn't want you to see a neurologist? How old are you?

i'm not going to try to diagnose you. see the neurologist, sounds like your symptoms are interfering with work and life.

tonyh 12-11-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soccertese (Post 1036137)
i was referred to a neurologist by my GP whom i visited with my only problem being difficulty rubbing my fingers together to clean my contact lenses.
i find it hard to believe your GP didn't discuss pd with you based on your symptoms and also having you get a MRI, i assume they were checking for cancer, stroke, MS. And he/she didn't want you to see a neurologist? How old are you?

i'm not going to try to diagnose you. see the neurologist, sounds like your symptoms are interfering with work and life.

I'm 48. This is the trouble with seeing a doc long ago while going through depression. He feels that everything simple is ruled out, it must be depression again. Gets me upset with doctors. But of course it also puts doubt in my head on weather this could all be possibly depression related. Like I said, I had depression before, years ago. But there weren't tremors. Now, when I did go see my GP, the tremor was slight, and came and went. It comes and goes now, but is much more apparent. And now there is the pill roll thing that wasn't there when I went to see him. Anyway, where I left off was for me to followup with a psychiatrist. I hate to sound like difficult patient, but wouldn't I know if I needed a psychiatrist? Anyway, I made the Neuro apt, but have that nagging doubt in the back of my mind.

soccertese 12-11-2013 07:23 PM

i've got my own problems. see the neuro.

dilmar 12-12-2013 12:01 AM

Yes see the neuro, good move.
My brother has Parkinsons, his presenting symptom was depression. There are articles around that describe pre motor symptoms of Parkinsons, depression is on the list.
Meantime hope you can put it to one side and enjoy the festive season.

tonyh 12-12-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilmar (Post 1036245)
Yes see the neuro, good move.
My brother has Parkinsons, his presenting symptom was depression. There are articles around that describe pre motor symptoms of Parkinsons, depression is on the list.
Meantime hope you can put it to one side and enjoy the festive season.

Thanks. I will go see them. If it turns out to be nothing, fine. But I will have peace of mind.