NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Another miracle? Levodopa, Hyperglycemia, Vinegar, and PD (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/198958-miracle-levodopa-hyperglycemia-vinegar-pd.html)

reverett123 12-23-2013 10:40 PM

Another miracle? Levodopa, Hyperglycemia, Vinegar, and PD

Follow me for a minute if you will. It has been known for ninety years that levodopa causes an increase in blood sugar in rabbits and, presumably, in humans as well. If true, then we get a spike in our blood sugar everytime we take a levodopa/carbodopa tablet. I have no reason to think that a similar reaction occurs with agonists or other drugs, but that simply leaves the issue open.

Assuming that the effect is limited to those of us who depend on L/C, that means that many, if not most, of us will walk into the problem at some point in our patient careers and will experience the sudden rush of insulin flooding our systems, the surge and retreat of glucose being sucked out of our blood and into the muscle cells, the similar movement of potassium out of reach that can turn us into zombies, the imbalance as we confront a similar movement of magnesium, the action of the kidneys as they attempt to fill their role in the balancing act by concentrating urine and peeing away excess water, the resulting loss of large numbers of water soluble B-vitamins and minerals leading to dehydration, ....you get the picture.

With this way of looking at things, everytime you take a sinemet or generic you are setting off a very unpleasent cascade of events that may ultimately do you in.

There is a possible solution that I began fooling around with today. With the holidays rushing at us so quickly, let me suggest an easy experiment for you. I tried it this afternoon twice and am amazed at the results.

Just take a teaspoon or two of vinegar each time you take levodopa.

There is indeed a reaction of some bbsort that causes the food that is eaten by a diabetic to drop in the glycemic index by approximately 50%. The assumption has been that whatever action might exist that it was related to the food consumed but that is not proven.

I suspect that the excitement for PWP is over at the Insulin end of the bar and that the diabetic patients who have been trying to figure this out have done us a great favor.

Try it. Not with your food but with your sinemet.

HarryM 12-26-2013 04:34 PM

I'll try it again cuz I luvs Vinegar anyway. Sounds interesting.

Kinda like the guy that told me about a cure for badly chapped lips. "You rub a Rabbit dropping on your lips. Medically, no benefit but you sure don't lick your lips as much".

Drevy 12-27-2013 06:10 PM

Vinegar, what kind? ( Apple Cider, white, etc..?

What kind of vinegar should I use for this experiment? I'm not diabetic, would this still work?

aquario 12-27-2013 09:24 PM

how taken

For better absorption, I try to take sinemet on an empty stomach. Adding two teaspoons of vinegar to this seems an invitation for gastric trials & tribulations. Dr. Jarvis' 1970's book A Vermont Doctor's Guide to Good Health recommended honey with vinegar. What's your approach? And what kind? Apple cider vinegar, white or Japanese rice wine vinegar (Mirin)?

Jon

HarryM 12-27-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquario (Post 1039833)
For better absorption, I try to take sinemet on an empty stomach. Adding two teaspoons of vinegar to this seems an invitation for gastric trials & tribulations. Dr. Jarvis' 1970's book A Vermont Doctor's Guide to Good Health recommended honey with vinegar. What's your approach? And what kind? Apple cider vinegar, white or Japanese rice wine vinegar (Mirin)?

Jon

Trials & Trib's for sure. When I swallow, I make sure I'm standing next to "Plam B".

Brainstorm 01-01-2014 04:30 PM

What amazing result did you get?

When you started taking the vinegar, what was the result? Did the sinemet work faster, longer, no dyskinesia, etc.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverett123 (Post 1039221)
Follow me for a minute if you will. It has been known for ninety years that levodopa causes an increase in blood sugar in rabbits and, presumably, in humans as well. If true, then we get a spike in our blood sugar everytime we take a levodopa/carbodopa tablet. I have no reason to think that a similar reaction occurs with agonists or other drugs, but that simply leaves the issue open.

Assuming that the effect is limited to those of us who depend on L/C, that means that many, if not most, of us will walk into the problem at some point in our patient careers and will experience the sudden rush of insulin flooding our systems, the surge and retreat of glucose being sucked out of our blood and into the muscle cells, the similar movement of potassium out of reach that can turn us into zombies, the imbalance as we confront a similar movement of magnesium, the action of the kidneys as they attempt to fill their role in the balancing act by concentrating urine and peeing away excess water, the resulting loss of large numbers of water soluble B-vitamins and minerals leading to dehydration, ....you get the picture.

With this way of looking at things, everytime you take a sinemet or generic you are setting off a very unpleasent cascade of events that may ultimately do you in.

There is a possible solution that I began fooling around with today. With the holidays rushing at us so quickly, let me suggest an easy experiment for you. I tried it this afternoon twice and am amazed at the results.

Just take a teaspoon or two of vinegar each time you take levodopa.

There is indeed a reaction of some bbsort that causes the food that is eaten by a diabetic to drop in the glycemic index by approximately 50%. The assumption has been that whatever action might exist that it was related to the food consumed but that is not proven.

I suspect that the excitement for PWP is over at the Insulin end of the bar and that the diabetic patients who have been trying to figure this out have done us a great favor.

Try it. Not with your food but with your sinemet.

reverett123 01-01-2014 06:01 PM

My apologies

My apologies to all for dropping this but my family had the misfortune to have one of its younger members unexpectedly lose a two-year battle with ovarian cancer just after my last post and the fire has not been there. I will gradually get it back together.

If I recall correctly, the main thing that had my interest was a sense of stability that I didn't have before. It was pretty vague and I was really trying to encourage others to try it since it was both cheap and safe. lifeus interruptus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainstorm (Post 1040773)
When you started taking the vinegar, what was the result? Did the sinemet work faster, longer, no dyskinesia, etc.?

HarryM 01-01-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverett123 (Post 1040779)
My apologies to all for dropping this but my family had the misfortune to have one of its younger members unexpectedly lose a two-year battle with ovarian cancer just after my last post and the fire has not been there. I will gradually get it back together.

If I recall correctly, the main thing that had my interest was a sense of stability that I didn't have before. It was pretty vague and I was really trying to encourage others to try it since it was both cheap and safe. lifeus interruptus

So sorry to for your loss. Passing should be exclusively for old guys like me that have lived thier time and then some.

Stand Tall 01-02-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverett123 (Post 1040779)

My sincere sympathy to you and your family. May you find comfort in memories and love.
Stand Tall

Aunt Bean 01-06-2014 03:53 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss ...may the Lord comfort your family.