NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Holiday blues & paybacks (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/199233-holiday-blues-paybacks.html)

Stacy2012 01-01-2014 08:42 PM

Holiday blues & paybacks

Well, the holidays are over.

THANK GOD.

I over indulged in sugar/carbs soo much. :(

Now the payback. I tried to start over so many times and all the awesome food around made it impossible. I have never been so happy to see the holidays end. I refuse to step on the scale for the next week until I detox, decarb, and exercise for a week first.

Anyone else blow it and looking forward to starting fresh now???

Edit to add: I have to say my feet could be way worse. Yes they are flaring more as a consequence however I still believe the zyflamend has really helped so much and made it easier.

Susanne C. 01-02-2014 10:48 AM

Well, I am also determined to stop eating sweets and carbs. I can't honestly say they affect my pain- hereditary neuropathy is what it is, regardless, but I like my clothes to be loose and let's just say they are fitting rather snugly. What it does to my triglycerides is another story but I ignore that. I baked more than usual this year, and sampled way too much of it. There is a ton of stuff left from last nights party, the young and middle aged adults drank more than they ate and the kids played outside and never came in for food. I tried to send some home, one guest forgot hers, but I am determined not to eat the cakes!
So I am with you in the resolve to eat better starting today! In fact I plan to start with a modified juice fast detox since I have been overdoing it and my activity level will be so low for a while.
Exercise is not an option right now as I am trying to rest as much as possible to see if it helps my sciatica.
Any other New Year's resolvers?

AussieDebbie 01-02-2014 10:51 AM

I'm with you there. It's 2am here and I am unable to sleep. Usually an extra dose or two of Tramadol takes the edge off the pain, but I somehow feel the need to experience this pain in full force. Not to punish myself, but to remind myself to be a good girl over Easter.

Ohhhh but I'm doomed to failure. Chocolates are my weakness. :p

You are not alone Stacey. :)

Kitt 01-02-2014 02:24 PM

I do not make resolutions. I eat a little more during the holidays but not that much more than I normally eat.

Susanne C. 01-02-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 1040957)
I do not make resolutions. I eat a little more during the holidays but not that much more than I normally eat.

My husband would agree with you on both accounts. I can't entirely blame the holidays for my transgressions, I was stress eating for the past few months, and not able to walk as much as usual.
I enjoy making resolutions, although I cannot point to one I've ever really kept, or that was life changing. Just a diversion.
I do believe I will resolve not to play fetch when I am alone and the yard is under two inches of water.

Stacy2012 01-02-2014 03:51 PM

I don't make resolutions.

It is just a matter of getting back on track after a blowout month of holiday eating.

I just got off the treadmill, only 2 miles. Might as well have been 20. Felt like I was being killed, lol. Oh so easy to get out of shape after a couple weeks off. My feet are worse than ever, I think it is because I have been keeping them soo cool now that it is winter that putting on tight shoes and running them hot was worse than in the summer. Yikes.

Took 4 hours of contemplating doing it before I actually got up and did it. All I can say it, glad it is over. I will never enjoy it but I do like how I feel afterwards. Now me and my swollen toes are gonna drink some chlorophyll and collapse, lol

ElaineD 01-02-2014 04:33 PM

No resolutions now, or ever.

Resolutions just get broken, anyway. It's fun to be part of some group related to resolutions (fitness, weight loss) and see the membership jump for about 6 weeks after January 1! Hard to find a place to park!

By mid February, everything goes back to normal.

And I suppose those with resolutions did undo the excesses of the Holidays, so relaxed a bit.

Anyway, I try to eat about the same amount every day........watching calories and timing of intake. I really love food, so nothing is off limits, but limits are there! I use one of those on line food trackers and it is very helpful to write down everything I eat.

I never quite exercise as much as I'd like, but I do more than my temperament warrants (complete couch potato). And I have the best hours for my health club on my calendar every day, so I have a good reminder.

The best part about being 71 is that I no longer expect to transform myself into anything better.

Right now I'm on a regular dose of prednisone (methylprednisolone actually) so I am feeling very good, with very little pain. This won't last of course, eventually I'll have to come off of the 4mg I take each day as part of my attempt to adjust to my IVIG treatments.

But I take it all a day at a time.

Happy New Year!

Hugs, Elaine

hopeful 01-02-2014 08:21 PM

Happy New Year Everyone!!
I'm with you Stacey. I ate way too much over the holidays and probably for a month before. I just went food shopping today and picked good foods.
I'm also the same as you Aussie dark chocolate is my weakness. Even though I asked him not to my husband filled my stocking with all types of it. Of course I'm eating it.

Hopefully, I'll start doing better but I don't think I'll ever give up my dark chocolate. I'll just cut back on the amount I eat. After all, it's said dark chocolate is good for you! HaHa!!!!

mrsD 01-02-2014 08:26 PM

hint: Dark chocolate provides magnesium....;)

example:
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...-magnesium.php

Stacy2012 01-02-2014 09:09 PM

I have gone 24 hours without carbs and boy am I feeling it. The withdraw headache...yuck.

Just another price for over indulgence. :mad: