NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Alcoholic Neuropathy or not?!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/199458-alcoholic-neuropathy.html)

cat1234 01-08-2014 05:48 PM

Alcoholic Neuropathy or not?!!

I am at a complete loss and hoping for some informative responses from those if you who have more experience. For over a year now, I have been experiencing extreme coldness in my hands and feet along with numbness, sometimes stabbing pains in my feet, a weakening in my leg muscles (nothing that prevents me from normal activity, but enough to restrict my usual exercise levels), sometimes puffiness under the eyes, irritability and constipation.

It ebbs and flows. I had 3 local doctors diagnose me with Sjogrens. After a trip to Johns Hopkins Sjogrens Center, a lip biopsy did not show evidence of Sjogrens. So now I am back to ground zero.

I made some lifestyle changes back in July when things got really bad, i.e. gluten free, alcohol free, restrictive sugar and caffeine, meat free, watching my mercury intake, taking B complexes, Bentofiamine, Alpha Lipoic acid, etc. While the symptoms did not continue to get any worse, I certainly did not see dramatic improvements.

SOOOOO...over the course of a 5 day trip to Colorado with my family over the holidays, I shared an Irish decaf coffee with my hubby one day, a weak margarita one night, a hot chocolate and Bailey's another day and a vodka/soda our last night there.

My feet are definitely more numb this week. My husband swears it is the extreme cold but I am thinking it is alcohol neuropathy. Back when this all started, I told my doctor my drinking can be excessive...three glasses of wine a night and getting crazy when we go out on the weekends. He did not seem to think that was the cause. I have had numerous blood tests and my liver, kidneys, B vitamins, Folic Acid, glucose, etc. are all well within normal levels.

How do I know if it is alcohol neuropathy? If that is what it is, what is the effect of an occasional drink??

Thank you so much for your attention. There is not a whole lot of detailed information out there on this!!!

Cat1234

cat1234 01-08-2014 10:07 PM

One Drink?

Okay ignore my entire last thread. What I really want to know is if one drink every now and again causes damage to the extent where you have to start healing all over again or is it okay???

tnthomas 01-08-2014 10:53 PM

Hi Cat,

I'm not a 'guru' here but I do have some experience with both neuropahty and having extensive alcohol history. Have you had labs focusing on your Liver? Have you been checked for Hepititus?

Icehouse 01-09-2014 07:48 AM

Nor am I an expert, but alcohol in small amounts should not do any harm. But, in this case I would abstain completely just to be safe.

mrsD 01-09-2014 08:06 AM

The question about alcohol induced neuropathy has been bantered back and forth for many years.

Even very well know doctors, like Wise Young MD have said once you quit the neuropathy will go away.

But lately there are research things popping up saying even moderate or light drinking exposes you to DNA damage from alcohol. Here is a very recent explanation of that...

http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/01...dna/64002.html

So going alcohol free ...and forever may be the solution. We already have information that alcohol damages the fetus...and those are rapidly dividing cells. In adults it may be damaging other rapidly dividing cells...those that repair us.

cat1234 01-09-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnthomas (Post 1042298)
Hi Cat,

I'm not a 'guru' here but I do have some experience with both neuropahty and having extensive alcohol history. Have you had labs focusing on your Liver? Have you been checked for Hepititus?

Yes. I have had the following tests done and within normal levels (among others but these would be what I would assume would be affected by alcohol abuse):
Vitamin B6 (this one was high in beginning but back within normal)
Thyroid Tests Normal while on synthroid medication for hypo
Kidney Tests Good
Liver Tests Good
Urine Tests Normal
Electrolytes Stable
Blood Glucose Normal
Vitamin D Normal
ESR/CRP, Folic Acid Normal
RBC/WBC (my RBC are sometimes right under normal range but nothing drs have ever thought concerning)

Thanks!