NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   I Thought I Was Myself Again :( (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/200019-i-thought-i-was-myself-again.html)

MomWriterStudent 01-22-2014 09:29 PM

I Thought I Was Myself Again :(

I'm about 7 weeks into my concussion. I originally thought that the concussion occurred on a different date than it actually did, but after reading old messages to family members, I was able to figure out that I somehow lost a week of my life. Sigh.

Anyway, about 10 days ago, I woke up feeling great. I thought I was myself again! My rent was overdue and I had a ton of bills coming up, so I went back to work. I'm a writer, so my work is very mentally demanding.

This was a huge mistake. I was able to work for a few days and even hung out with friends for two days in a row. I also took my kids to several different events and ran all of the errands that I had put off.

Now I'm back at square one, minus the brain fog. The headache is back. The depression is back. I can barely read. I can't handle loud noises. I'm typing this with one eye closed (for some reason, I started doing that on the days my concussion symptoms are the worst). The nausea has returned.

I'm incredibly depressed. I feel like this concussion will never go away. I just want to work and play with my kids. I never realized how much I took my old life for granted until now.

I just don't know what to do. I can't afford to miss anymore work. In fact, I need to somehow force myself to write a bunch of articles tonight and tomorrow or I will be in serious danger of losing my home. I already had my cable and internet shut off this week, and my phone is next. I'm a single parent and have nobody who can help financially, and because I'm self-employed, I can't get paid vacation time or anything.

poetrymom 01-23-2014 12:06 AM

Hello and welcome

Hi there momwriterstudent,

I am sorry to hear of your struggles, and concussion. PCS is a scary place to be especially if or when you have those confusing days where you feel better and you might think, "ah ha -- it's over," only to find, it is not over.

I had those days too, and I had to leave work last year before the school year was out, and just stay home and brain rest and heal. That was me though.

No 2 injuries are the same and no 2 healings are the same either. If you have to work, you do. I found that when I kept trying to go back to work, it just drained me and made me worse. I know how depressing and scary that felt. I really feel for you in your situation.

Check out the vitamin stickie at the top. It will give you good ideas on how to start healing from the inside. Good nutrition is key to brain health and healing too.

I hope you can find a way to brain rest when you are not working. That will involve having others help you. You will and do need help. I hope you can find it.

Keep asking questions and other people here will weigh in.

The brain does heal. It just takes its own long time and no one really knows how long that time is. But the brain can heal.

Here's wishing you peace.

Sincerely

poetrymom

Mark in Idaho 01-23-2014 06:29 PM

MWS,

I suggest you find a way to pace yourself as your write. You definitely over did it. Even on our best days, we need to pace ourselves or risk a setback like you had. The kids will be OK without every event they may want. You need to try to find a balance of rest and effort.

If you are writing and get bleary eyed, stop and take a break. If you don't, you may end up with such a setback that you can not function. By taking breaks frequently, you can still be productive. You need to learn to recognize the signs of fatigue.

Many of us have been through the same setbacks as you. We speak from hard learned experience.

My best to you.

Mokey 01-23-2014 07:24 PM

Closing one eye may mean your eyes don't function together anymore. Have you had your vision assessed by a neuro opthamologist or behavioural optometrist?! A key breakthrough for me. Good luck!!!

rmschaver 01-24-2014 09:08 PM

Marshall your support network, you need help. Pacing yourself is excellent advice. Avoid caffeine, alcohol, benzos. Eat right and rest as much as you can. Read the supplements post.

aggie 01-24-2014 09:31 PM

Solo angel

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomWriterStudent (Post 1045374)
I'm about 7 weeks into my concussion. I originally thought that the concussion occurred on a different date than it actually did, but after reading old messages to family members, I was able to figure out that I somehow lost a week of my life. Sigh.

Anyway, about 10 days ago, I woke up feeling great. I thought I was myself again! My rent was overdue and I had a ton of bills coming up, so I went back to work. I'm a writer, so my work is very mentally demanding.

This was a huge mistake. I was able to work for a few days and even hung out with friends for two days in a row. I also took my kids to several different events and ran all of the errands that I had put off.

Now I'm back at square one, minus the brain fog. The headache is back. The depression is back. I can barely read. I can't handle loud noises. I'm typing this with one eye closed (for some reason, I started doing that on the days my concussion symptoms are the worst). The nausea has returned.

I'm incredibly depressed. I feel like this concussion will never go away. I just want to work and play with my kids. I never realized how much I took my old life for granted until now.

I just don't know what to do. I can't afford to miss anymore work. In fact, I need to somehow force myself to write a bunch of articles tonight and tomorrow or I will be in serious danger of losing my home. I already had my cable and internet shut off this week, and my phone is next. I'm a single parent and have nobody who can help financially, and because I'm self-employed, I can't get paid vacation time or anything.

Dear busy angel
It's super taxing being independent and juggling not only your life but a couple of others. Girl - it's time to drop your bundle, tell your friends what is happening and yes! how worried you are. They will help. I was once in a similar position after a thyroid storm and my world seemed to be caving in. I ended up in ICU for a while. People did come to help - to clean my flat, to share a coffee, to feed back to work. My rent and phone bills got overlooked but I rang the estate agent and told them what had happened. They were sympathetic and let me catch it up. Your gift is writing and communicating it may be time to speak out regarding your situation in doing so love will come in many ways and you will return to better health. Love and wishes aggie

ToriD146 01-24-2014 11:01 PM

Hello

Hello, Im 16, and I had a traumatic brain injury last december, I also had a concussion, so I know how that feels. I was diagnosed with post concussive syndrome last summer, i still struggle from it, from getting tired easily, to depression, confusion, no motivation, light sensitivity, anxiety, depersonalization and what started about 4 days ago, derealization. Very scary feelings :( its nice to know im not alone in suffering from this. I pray that you get better and things start looking up for you :) we have all been in that time where nothing goes
right :( stay strong! :)

MomWriterStudent 01-27-2014 10:02 AM

Thanks, guys, for all of the responses. I wanted to tell you that I am still on good terms with my ex's family, and they offered to come clean my house and watch the kids this weekend while I rested. I was very thankful for that, and it did give me some time to rest for a few hours.

poetrymom 01-27-2014 04:33 PM

good!!

Hi momwriterstudent

good to hear that you have help! Don't be afraid to ask for it. Brain healing is like nothing I've ever been through and i am not done healing yet either.

Take care,

pm

roralea 01-27-2014 05:36 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. I faced the same kind if disappointment in the beginning when I thought I was making progress. I'm glad your ex inlaws can help, and I hope that you use all the support that is available to you. It could also be helpful to have someone else research any social programs that could help you in this state of emergency, since that sort of research really sets off symptoms. That way you could use all that you have for your children and your writing. Take care and I hope things are better for you soon.