NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   exercise (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/200144-exercise.html)

sham0968 01-25-2014 12:14 PM

exercise

Do you or can you personally exercise with mg. I am asking from each of you as an individual. I use to exercise a lot. I did lower body and light weights upper body. I never have had upper body strength. Now if I do a little exercise my legs get weak and feel like I am caring weights on my legs or walking in cement. I was wondering how I can exercise still with muscle problems. Do I just exercise and then relax my legs for days or what. Do I need to just wait till I get rights meds..Just looking for your view?

Panorama 01-26-2014 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sham0968 (Post 1046148)
Do you or can you personally exercise with mg. I am asking from each of you as an individual. I use to exercise a lot. I did lower body and light weights upper body. I never have had upper body strength. Now if I do a little exercise my legs get weak and feel like I am caring weights on my legs or walking in cement. I was wondering how I can exercise still with muscle problems. Do I just exercise and then relax my legs for days or what. Do I need to just wait till I get rights meds..Just looking for your view?

I asked my doctor if it was OK if I started to exercise. He said yes. You should ask your doctor first, but getting your medication schedule to work for you is very important. I will be posting a thread on this topic very soon.

I bought three sets of neoprene hand weights, 2 lbs, 3 lbs, and 5 lbs. I also order a treadmill. I will use the weights alone and with the treadmill. I plan to start walking at first, gradually moving to jogging, and then running. I work nights, so it is not convent for me to go outside for walking and running. Also the tread mill's running track is much softer than the outside ground.

I did a bit of research and decided on the following:

http://www.xterrafitness.com/treadmi...trail-racer-66

Here is a link to Xterra's line of treadmills for comparison:

http://www.xterrafitness.com/treadmills

They have a promotion until the end of the month. If you spend $998 you also get the Xterra UB1.5 Upright Bike for free , a flywheel exercise bike. These sell for $230 at Overstock. They charge $20 for the free exercise bike to cover the cost of headlining. I don't have room for the bike, so I'm giving it to a friend.

They ship the tread mills for free at the basic level, but this is only curb service. It weights around 275 pounds. You can pay for better shipping options.

Take care,

-Mark-

sandy56 01-26-2014 10:01 AM

My Mg is stable on Cellcept and mestinon. I started with a spin bike at home and 5 lb dumbbells. At first I could only bike a few minutes and would need to rest. When I am at home I jump on the bike for 5 min every hour throughout the day. I will do the weights twice a day. I am feeling stronger and have started walking a mile 3 times a week. On the days I am not doing well I will do less exercise and rest more. I know to stop when my vision gets more blurred and my voice gets hoarse. I would be careful until you get stabilized Good Luck !
Sandy:)

bny806 01-26-2014 02:54 PM

I used to be a runner, skier, surfer etc.. so was used to working out frequently.. but now I have to save my energy for the essentials .. that being said I have a very physical job, I also have 2 small kids, so I run around all the time chasing them, lifting them etc.. so I am still very active, but just can't expend the energy or recovery time for actual working out at this point.. I'll take what I can get! :) (fyi - I am not confirmed MG, i do get IVIG for mystery illness - with LEMS being high on the list)

sham0968 01-26-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpage (Post 1046302)
I asked my doctor if it was OK if I started to exercise. He said yes. You should ask your doctor first, but getting your medication schedule to work for you is very important. I will be posting a thread on this topic very soon.

I bought three sets of neoprene hand weights, 2 lbs, 3 lbs, and 5 lbs. I also order a treadmill. I will use the weights alone and with the treadmill. I plan to start walking at first, gradually moving to jogging, and then running. I work nights, so it is not convent for me to go outside for walking and running. Also the tread mill's running track is much softer than the outside ground.

I did a bit of research and decided on the following:

http://www.xterrafitness.com/treadmi...trail-racer-66

Here is a link to Xterra's line of treadmills for comparison:

http://www.xterrafitness.com/treadmills

They have a promotion until the end of the month. If you spend $998 you also get the Xterra UB1.5 Upright Bike for free , a flywheel exercise bike. These sell for $230 at Overstock. They charge $20 for the free exercise bike to cover the cost of headlining. I don't have room for the bike, so I'm giving it to a friend.

They ship the tread mills for free at the basic level, but this is only curb service. It weights around 275 pounds. You can pay for better shipping options.

Take care,

-Mark-

The thing is I have all kinds of exercise equipment but when I exercise after a few mins my legs are weak and they a are a few days afterward and then they go back to normal so will I be doing damage to my muscles if I exercise and they get weak without meds.

southblues 01-26-2014 06:11 PM

My doctor told me not to exercise. Then when I told him I had started doing some walking, he said that it was good. He told me not to ride my horse, but I ignored him.

Panorama 01-26-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 1046447)
My doctor told me not to exercise. Then when I told him I had started doing some walking, he said that it was good. He told me not to ride my horse, but I ignored him.

Good for you! I'm proud of you. If your doctor complains, tell him that your got the advice from an old House episode. They love to hear that. :)

-Mark-

busybusy 01-27-2014 11:51 AM

My problem is my nero does not want me to become a couch potato, but I cannot seem to do the exercise deal. I tried a 6 min workout and could not walk or get up from being so sore. The least bit of exercise I do makes me feel like I have run a marathon. I love to dance and at my class reunion I danced all I could even though I felt my legs begin to burn but I kept pushing. When I stopped for good, I barely could walk to the car. My husband had to literally get me out of the car and get me into the house because of the muscle fatigue. Two days in bed because of extreme soreness and pain before I began to get better. I have since given up on dancing. The most I can do is get in a pool and float around. If I am up all day cleaning, I am in bad shape that night and a day after with soreness and leg pain. I refuse to give up on living so I now try to do what I can and since I am an A personality, I am stubborn and then pay the consequences. I am, however, going to start trying to walk some when the weather turns warmer. I cannot stand the cold weather.

sham0968 01-27-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busybusy (Post 1046646)
My problem is my nero does not want me to become a couch potato, but I cannot seem to do the exercise deal. I tried a 6 min workout and could not walk or get up from being so sore. The least bit of exercise I do makes me feel like I have run a marathon. I love to dance and at my class reunion I danced all I could even though I felt my legs begin to burn but I kept pushing. When I stopped for good, I barely could walk to the car. My husband had to literally get me out of the car and get me into the house because of the muscle fatigue. Two days in bed because of extreme soreness and pain before I began to get better. I have since given up on dancing. The most I can do is get in a pool and float around. If I am up all day cleaning, I am in bad shape that night and a day after with soreness and leg pain. I refuse to give up on living so I now try to do what I can and since I am an A personality, I am stubborn and then pay the consequences. I am, however, going to start trying to walk some when the weather turns warmer. I cannot stand the cold weather.

I am not a couch potatoe believe me, I hardly set down but I am staggering around with pain in my legs etc.my whole family has made fun of me my whole life because I am an exercise fanatic and I have all kinds of equipment but now if I get on it five minutes then the next few days, I can not hardly walk or anything. I guess I will have to do what I can till I can go to doctor.

bny806 01-27-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sham0968 (Post 1046647)
I am not a couch potatoe believe me, I hardly set down but I am staggering around with pain in my legs etc.my whole family has made fun of me my whole life because I am an exercise fanatic and I have all kinds of equipment but now if I get on it five minutes then the next few days, I can not hardly walk or anything. I guess I will have to do what I can till I can go to doctor.

yes before I got IVIG just walking around for an hour (at a birthday party for example) felt like I ran a serious marathon the next day and was SOOOOO SOOO sore and weak for 4 days afterwards.. so for now I'll take just the daily activities and no more..