NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   Applied for ssdi, they want me to see a psychologist. (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/200265-applied-ssdi-psychologist.html)

Tracy8763 01-28-2014 09:57 AM

Applied for ssdi, they want me to see a psychologist.

Hello everyone I had applied for Social Security disability back in May 2013 because of my MS but was denied first time around. I reapplied this past September 2013 and then was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I have been back-and-forth speaking to the representatives making sure that they have received all of my medical documentation from my doctors and hospitals which they say they have. I received a phone call from my representative saying that my neurologist stated he wanted me to see me to see a psychiatrist because of my complaints of having anxiety attacks. They actually called me yesterday and said they set up an appointment with one of their doctors which is a lot sooner than my appointment would have been. I'm a little nervous about this I've never seen a psychologist before I'm not sure what to expect. I had to go back to work but only three hours a week because my bills have been piling up. My biggest problem is not only the weakness in my legs but now I have incontinence. That's just a few of the many symptoms I have been experiencing and ever since the cancer diagnosis the major problem with the panic attacks. I really just want this all to be over with I'm trying to stay positive but I'm really hoping that this is my last appointment I have to do before they make a decision. I don't have a lawyer which concerns me I just hope I've done everything that they need me to do because I'm pretty much at the end of my rope.

walkerslbje 01-29-2014 11:04 AM

It will all be fine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trac8763 (Post 1046874)
Hello everyone I had applied for Social Security disability back in May 2013 because of my MS but was denied first time around. I reapplied this past September 2013 and then was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I have been back-and-forth speaking to the representatives making sure that they have received all of my medical documentation from my doctors and hospitals which they say they have. I received a phone call from my representative saying that my neurologist stated he wanted me to see me to see a psychiatrist because of my complaints of having anxiety attacks. They actually called me yesterday and said they set up an appointment with one of their doctors which is a lot sooner than my appointment would have been. I'm a little nervous about this I've never seen a psychologist before I'm not sure what to expect. I had to go back to work but only three hours a week because my bills have been piling up. My biggest problem is not only the weakness in my legs but now I have incontinence. That's just a few of the many symptoms I have been experiencing and ever since the cancer diagnosis the major problem with the panic attacks. I really just want this all to be over with I'm trying to stay positive but I'm really hoping that this is my last appointment I have to do before they make a decision. I don't have a lawyer which concerns me I just hope I've done everything that they need me to do because I'm pretty much at the end of my rope.

Hi there , I just wanted to tell you that I had a server back injury and the made me do the same thing . It's no biggie and only takes like 30 mins for apt! Just be honest with them and it will all work out!

St George 2013 01-31-2014 11:46 PM

Hello Tracy :)

Dealing with a cancer diagnosis is hard enough and then add the SS Disability, anxiety and that's a very full load to handle.

I do agree with walkerslbje.....just be honest.

I'll have you in my thoughts and hope that everything works out for you. Please let us know how you're doing and know we're here for you. We really do care.

Debi from Georgia

Tracy8763 02-02-2014 09:50 AM

Thank you...oh yes I will be honest. I think that talking to someone would help. I also made an apt. With a psychiatrist.

LIT LOVE 02-03-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy8763 (Post 1048287)
Thank you...oh yes I will be honest. I think that talking to someone would help. I also made an apt. With a psychiatrist.

Don't expect this to be like a normal appointment where they'll try and help you. Much of the time will likely be taken up with filling out tests and questionnaires. It's simply a fact finding appointment for them. ;)

finz 02-04-2014 12:31 AM

I'm glad to hear that you made an apt to see a psychiatrist on your own, Tracy. Your own doctor will be able to advise you on treatments that may be able to help you manage the anxiety attacks.

The psychiatrist that the SSA sends you to will not treat you, his job is to tell the SSA if he thinks you are totally disabled by your anxiety or if it contributes significantly to your total disability.

Several of us here have a mental health issue that contributes to our being totally disabled or that results from our emotional reactions to be totally disabled. Some of our regular posters have been approved for primarily mental health issues. I hope that you will hear from more folks who were sent to an SSA psychiatrist so that they can tell you about their experiences to (hopefully !) help decrease your anxiety about it.

I didn't see any of the SSA docs, so I can't comment on that.

You certainly have a lot on your plate right now, that's bound to aggravate an anxiety issue. I hope that with treatment for the anxiety attacks, thyroid cancer, and MS that you will get to a state that you can manage. The (limited) financial security that comes with SSDI approval could also help ease that anxiety a bit.

We'll hold your hand through the process if you need us to :hug:

Best wishes getting through all of this.

raindrop 02-08-2014 08:10 PM

Don't worry - I was afraid I was being sent for a mental eval because they thought I was a fraud or faking my problems. My attorney's staff put the fear to rest - they said when people are disabled it is stressful and common for them to develop depression (or in your case, anxiety) and for this to affect their ability to function well.

If they find co-existing conditions that limit your ability to cope or function day to day, that will not hurt your case.

St George 2013 02-09-2014 08:16 AM

Good Morning Tracy :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy8763 (Post 1046874)

Hey Tracy.....just checking in....how are you doing ?

We're here for you :)

Debi from Georgia

Tracy8763 02-11-2014 02:45 PM

I am hanging in there, my appointment is tomorrow....I am just going to be myself and be honest. There are so many things that have been stressing me out this past year. I just hope that after this meeting I hear some good news from ssdi soon. This whole process has been so overwhelming, I hope it's all worth it. Will post back after y appointment.

LauraM 02-11-2014 10:27 PM

Tracy, I too applied for SSD and was sent for a "mental eval" it was nothing to worry about. I also asked for a copy of the report for myself and actually got it.
I hope it goes/went well for you!