NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Alcoholism, Addiction and Recovery (https://www.neurotalk.org/alcoholism-addiction-and-recovery/)
-   -   Newbie with a question. Recovering meth addict (https://www.neurotalk.org/alcoholism-addiction-and-recovery/200492-newbie-question-recovering-meth-addict.html)

Grmpytink 02-01-2014 11:15 AM

Newbie with a question. Recovering meth addict

I have been clean for 10 years,and have asked my primary care dr, psychologist, and psychiatrist, to no avail. No one can answer me. I am hoping you can. Using methamphetamine causes your brain to produce dopamine. Does a persons brain only produce a certain amount in their lifetime, and once gone it produces no more? I have no energy, I do NOTHING. I go nowhere but work and back, I have no desire to do anything. Have I used it all up?

mrsD 02-01-2014 11:29 AM

Welcome to NeuroTalk:

I wish I could give you good news, but I can't find much in the
literature.

I did find this from 2008:
Quote:

Synapse. 2008 Feb;62(2):91-100.
Persistent cognitive and dopamine transporter deficits in abstinent methamphetamine users.
McCann UD, Kuwabara H, Kumar A, Palermo M, Abbey R, Brasic J, Ye W, Alexander M, Dannals RF, Wong DF, Ricaurte GA.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Studies in abstinent methamphetamine (METH) users have demonstrated reductions in brain dopamine transporter (DAT) binding potential (BP), as well as cognitive and motor deficits, but it is not yet clear whether cognitive deficits and brain DAT reductions fully reverse with sustained abstinence, or whether behavioral deficits in METH users are related to dopamine (DA) deficits. This study was conducted to further investigate potential persistent psychomotor deficits secondary to METH abuse, and their relationship to brain DAT availability, as measured using quantitative PET methods with [(11)C]WIN 35428.
METHODS:

Twenty-two abstinent METH users and 17 healthy non-METH using controls underwent psychometric testing to test the hypothesis that METH users would demonstrate selective deficits in neuropsychiatric domains known to involve DA neurons (e.g., working memory, executive function, motor function). A subset of subjects also underwent PET scanning with [(11)C]WIN 35428.
RESULTS:

METH users were found to have modest deficits in short-term memory, executive function, and manual dexterity. Exploratory correlational analyses revealed that deficits in memory, but not those in executive or motor function, were associated with decreases in striatal DAT BP.
CONCLUSIONS:

These results suggest a possible relationship between DAT BP and memory deficits in abstinent METH users, and lend support to the notion that METH produces lasting effects on central DA neurons in humans. As METH can also produce toxic effects on serotonin (5-HT) neurons, further study is needed to address the potential role of brain 5-HT depletion in cognitive deficits in abstinent METH users.

(c) 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17992686

We do have a handy link to PubMed at the right top of the page here.
When you go there to look further use
"methamphetamine long term effects"
or
methamphetamine dopamine transporter

or
whatever, using the word methamphetamine + a qualifying keyword or phrase.

I suspect the long term consequences would be similar to the
known effects of amphetamine or methylphenidate (Ritalin).
Always use generic drug names when searching on PubMed.

There have been suggestions concerning long term use of stimulants in children leading to chronic depression and/or Parkinsonian symptoms later in life. This may vary from person to person.

Grmpytink 02-01-2014 11:44 AM

Thank you

I will check out what you have provided. I just want to feel normal again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1048120)
Welcome to NeuroTalk:

I wish I could give you good news, but I can't find much in the
literature.

We do have a handy link to PubMed at the right top of the page here.
When you go there to look further use
"methamphetamine long term effects"
or
methamphetamine dopamine transporter

or
whatever, using the word methamphetamine + a qualifying keyword or phrase.

I suspect the long term consequences would be similar to the
known effects of amphetamine or methylphenidate (Ritalin).
Always use generic drug names when searching on PubMed.

There have been suggestions concerning long term use of stimulants in children leading to chronic depression and/or Parkinsonian symptoms later in life. This may vary from person to person.

bizi 02-01-2014 01:41 PM

It sounds like depression too. talk to your health care provider maybe an anti depressant could help?
good luck in your journey.
bizi
congratulations on 10 years sober!

Grmpytink 02-02-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1048138)
It sounds like depression too. talk to your health care provider maybe an anti depressant could help?
good luck in your journey.
bizi
congratulations on 10 years sober!

I have been bi-polar for years. I have anti depressants, but I still have no "go". I was a fully functioning addict. I would go places, do things, have fun. Since I quit doing meth, I am the complete opposite. I hate what I have become. I just want to feel like a regular person. Found something about dopamine. I may be "dopamine deficient" went today and bought some L-Tyrosine. We will see how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed.

St George 2013 02-02-2014 11:38 AM

Dear Grmpytink :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grmpytink (Post 1048263)
I have been bi-polar for years. I have anti depressants, but I still have no "go". I was a fully functioning addict. I would go places, do things, have fun. Since I quit doing meth, I am the complete opposite. I hate what I have become. I just want to feel like a regular person. Found something about dopamine. I may be "dopamine deficient" went today and bought some L-Tyrosine. We will see how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I am so glad that you are reaching out to us.....so many people on here with lots of information can make this journey easier for you.

Please keep us posted and we'll be here when you just need to talk.

Debi from Georgia

bizi 02-02-2014 08:10 PM

I am bipolar 1, maybe this has been the depression side of our disorder. maybe it is time to switch meds, different mood stabilizer. I take lamictal.
geodon and klonipin to sleep.
bizi