NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Gabapentin (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/200712-gabapentin.html)

sham0968 02-06-2014 02:52 PM

Gabapentin

I am new here. I have not been diagnosed with anything yet. They are looking at MS and MG. Although MRI of the brain is negative for MS. I will be going to neur for more testing. My doctor went ahead and prescribed gabapentin. It really helps me. I quit taking it and had a lot of pain and could not hardly move. The problem is it is making me gain weight. Any suggestions? I mean when I am in bad pain I do not care about the weight gain but later I do.

ANNagain 02-07-2014 01:34 PM

Hi Sham0968. :)

Sorry to hear you are not well and are waiting for a diagnosis. Many here have had an initially negative MRI. This is why it is important to see your Neuro over time so s/he can see any changes.

You might also want to keep a symptom journal and write down your questions.

As to the gabapentin (Neurontin)- ask if there is an alternative that doesn't cause weight gain. Don't stop it suddenly- taper if you must but please do this w your docs approval.

Sorry it took so long to get a response here. It has been very quiet lately.

ANN

Debbie D 02-09-2014 08:42 AM

Welcome to NT-great place for info and support!

Yes, as Ann said, gabapentin should be tapered off of, not just cold turkey...let your neuro know. And as Ann said, keep a symptom journal. It helps when you go in to your exam and also helps your doctor get a better picture. I usually bring a list of questions as well, because I always forget what I need to ask once I'm in the exam room.

Keep us up to date...and it does take time to get a dx of MS, unless you are presenting with drastic symptoms and the exams and MRIs confirm the dx.

sham0968 02-09-2014 08:05 PM

Thanks lady's and I have stopped the gabapentin. what's wrong with just stopping it? The weight gain is more like fluid and makes my clothes feel tight and that hurts my back. If I get in pain then I start back. I know that it is not pain medication. Im just asking because I do not know.

sham0968 02-09-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie D (Post 1049921)
Welcome to NT-great place for info and support!

Yes, as Ann said, gabapentin should be tapered off of, not just cold turkey...let your neuro know. And as Ann said, keep a symptom journal. It helps when you go in to your exam and also helps your doctor get a better picture. I usually bring a list of questions as well, because I always forget what I need to ask once I'm in the exam room.

Keep us up to date...and it does take time to get a dx of MS, unless you are presenting with drastic symptoms and the exams and MRIs confirm the dx.

I forgot to add that I have been writing my symptoms down that I have to give to doctor but Journal might be good also. Thank you

Erika 02-09-2014 08:31 PM

Maybe ask your doc for a diuretic if it is water retention causing the problem. A potassim sparing one like Spironolactone tends not to upset electrolyte balance; and it may allow you to take the gabepenton on a more continuous basis, which is the recommended way to use it.

With love, Erika

sham0968 02-09-2014 08:44 PM

I had thought of that and mentioned it to a friend of mine. I would need to be cautious about potassium because I have breathing problems occasionally and every time that I do my potassium is low.