NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Cognitive decline: Exercise becoming a new frontier in efforts to battle the problem (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/201133-cognitive-decline-exercise-becoming-frontier-efforts-battle.html)

soccertese 02-17-2014 09:02 AM

Cognitive decline: Exercise becoming a new frontier in efforts to battle the problem

http://courier-tribune.com/thrive-ma...battle-problem

Nan Cyclist 02-17-2014 11:15 PM

As most of you know, I exercise a great deal. I am also subject in several research studies that are related to cognition, both here in Seattle and the NIH in DC and I'm joining a new one at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. I just finished my third round of testing here in Seattle and was told that I was better this year than last year and better last year than the first year. I know I'm not getting any smarter, so I'll just attribute it all to exercise.

Tupelo3 02-18-2014 11:12 AM

I agree.......however

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan Cyclist (Post 1051733)
As most of you know, I exercise a great deal. I am also subject in several research studies that are related to cognition, both here in Seattle and the NIH in DC and I'm joining a new one at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. I just finished my third round of testing here in Seattle and was told that I was better this year than last year and better last year than the first year. I know I'm not getting any smarter, so I'll just attribute it all to exercise.

Nan, I fully agree about the importance of exercise for PwP. I also have been in a number of cognitive studies. My concern is the tests that are used by the studies I have participated in. They are limited and tend to be overused. I have taken all three versions of the MOCA more than 20 times each and can recite the memory portion for each right now without looking. I think in some of these studies the results are greatly influenced by the learning curve. Therefore, I am not surprised when participants do better on these tests in follow-up. What we need to see is that patients who exercise have more and longer lasting improvement, than those who don't exercise. My guess is that properly designed studies will show that.

zanpar321 02-18-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tupelo3 (Post 1051826)
Nan, I fully agree about the importance of exercise for PwP. I also have been in a number of cognitive studies. My concern is the tests that are used by the studies I have participated in. They are limited and tend to be overused. I have taken all three versions of the MOCA more than 20 times each and can recite the memory portion for each right now without looking. I think in some of these studies the results are greatly influenced by the learning curve. Therefore, I am not surprised when participants do better on these tests in follow-up. What we need to see is that patients who exercise have more and longer lasting improvement, than those who don't exercise. My guess is that properly designed studies will show that.

I agree. Accurate testing is important. Nonetheless,Exercise is very important it appears!

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index...001e0215acRCRD

Tupelo3 02-18-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanpar321 (Post 1051877)
I agree. Accurate testing is important. Nonetheless,Exercise is very important it appears!

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index...001e0215acRCRD

Thanks Zanpar. I think most of the members on this site are in full agreement as to the benefits of exercise for PwP. However, I'm not sure a 10 year old rodent study is the best means of supporting that hypothesis. There have been numerous published HUMAN studies over the past decade which would be far more relevant.

zanpar321 02-18-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tupelo3 (Post 1051881)
Thanks Zanpar. I think most of the members on this site are in full agreement as to the benefits of exercise for PwP. However, I'm not sure a 10 year old rodent study is the best means of supporting that hypothesis. There have been numerous published HUMAN studies over the past decade which would be far more relevant.

I'm new to this research so just thought this was interesting. I try to continue to work so don't have time to do a lengthy research and post only the latest and best studies. If you do, please feel free to. I'd appreciate that. Best regards

soccertese 02-18-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanpar321 (Post 1051888)
I'm new to this research so just thought this was interesting. I try to continue to work so don't have time to do a lengthy research and post only the latest and best studies. If you do, please feel free to. I'd appreciate that. Best regards

zanpar,
that's what this thread started off as, current, relevent research on humans.
you can post whatever you want but take my advice, old animal studies really don't interest anyone after the research has progressed to humans. another hint, when the PEDALING FOR PARKINSON'S thread has 39,000+ views, that probably indicates exercise has been discussed? just giving you some advice if you want your posts to be more than just "quantity".

Robin F K 02-18-2014 04:18 PM

Exercise

We heard from a therapist recently, "Motion is lotion." Good to keep this in mind. Exercise may not produce any long term improvements, or help stabilize balance problems, but we have seen short-term mobility improvements as a result of LSVT BIG exercises, tai chi, stationary bike riding, walking, and other gentle movement exercises. Good physical therapists can help a PD patient become more aware of which body part limitations contribute to falls or difficulty getting up or moving around safely. Awareness and exercise training, with concentration and thought, can help a PD patient feel more normal for at least part of the day. It helps to keep expectations reasonable. Exercise moderately for 1/2 hour or so, and feel ok for about an hour or two. This has been our experience.

zanpar321 02-18-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soccertese (Post 1051903)
zanpar,
that's what this thread started off as, current, relevent research on humans.
you can post whatever you want but take my advice, old animal studies really don't interest anyone after the research has progressed to humans. another hint, when the PEDALING FOR PARKINSON'S thread has 39,000+ views, that probably indicates exercise has been discussed? just giving you some advice if you want your posts to be more than just "quantity".

I'll read the pedaling post. I didn't know animal studies weren't allowed or appreciated on this forum. Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to stay in line. Best regards

soccertese 02-18-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanpar321 (Post 1051912)
I'll read the pedaling post. I didn't know animal studies weren't allowed or appreciated on this forum. Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to stay in line. Best regards

i'm just offering my own opinion, noone elses, but i can't remember the last time someone posted anything about an animal exercise study since there have been so many human studies in the last 5 years or so. animal studies do get mentioned here but usually when there are few or no human studies.