NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   Diagnosis name too long to fit on disability review form (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/201135-diagnosis-name-fit-disability-review-form.html)

walkingtaller 02-17-2014 09:18 AM

Diagnosis name too long to fit on disability review form

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and am very much enjoying all of the archived topics.

A question. I anticipate getting a disability review update form (short form) in the near future. My primary diagnosis is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but that is too long to fit in the limited number of blocks that are read by the computer. Even the obsessive compulsive part will not fit.

For those of you with a diagnosis that includes many letters, how have you completed the disability update form in the past? If it wouldn't "fit"?

Any suggestions are welcome.

JoanieP 02-17-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingtaller (Post 1051567)
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and am very much enjoying all of the archived topics.

A question. I anticipate getting a disability review update form (short form) in the near future. My primary diagnosis is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but that is too long to fit in the limited number of blocks that are read by the computer. Even the obsessive compulsive part will not fit.

For those of you with a diagnosis that includes many letters, how have you completed the disability update form in the past? If it wouldn't "fit"?

Any suggestions are welcome.

There is a place that they give you at the end of the application portion for added notes, I put brain surgery on my first area and then added the long diagnosis of "Chronic Idiopathic Hypertrophic Cranial Meningitis" on the added sheet area....hope this helps....:winky:

ginnie 02-17-2014 11:38 AM

Hi Walkingtaller

I believe on my own paperwork, there was a note to write on the back of one of the pages, and then attach any additions on a separate piece of paper. Document everything, that will help. ginnie

LIT LOVE 02-17-2014 05:20 PM

I'm sorry but the above responses are incorrect and following that advice could result in triggering the Long Form CDR.

With CDR's you ABSOLUTELY do not want to being adding ANYTHING into the notes section, write on the back of forms, or attach anything!!!

I do not remember the space being so small that you couldn't even write Obsessive?

PLEASE read this before starting on the form! http://nymakesworkpay.org/docs/Guide_CDR.pdf

LIT LOVE 02-17-2014 08:27 PM

http://www.ssdfacts.com/forms/SSA-455-OCR-SM.pdf

The above is a link to a copy of the short form most people receive.

As stated in the link I provided earlier, you want to use the diagnosis found in your Fully Favorable decision. If it states Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and you only have room for Obsessive Compul, than you stop writing. Your goal is to not unneccarily have the computer kick the form to a human.

Good luck!

walkingtaller 02-17-2014 08:52 PM

LIT LOVE,

Are you sure it is ok to just "stop" mid-stream on the second word? For example, to only put Obsessive Compul or however much will fit?

I can't find that on the instructions on the link you sent (and thanks for the link, btw!).

thanks

LIT LOVE 02-17-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingtaller (Post 1051706)
LIT LOVE,

Are you sure it is ok to just "stop" mid-stream on the second word? For example, to only put Obsessive Compul or however much will fit?

I can't find that on the instructions on the link you sent (and thanks for the link, btw!).

thanks

Yes, it states to stop mid word (due to the OCR software.) You'll find it under the section Fill Out the Form Exactly as Instructed on page 5. The other instructions of adding No New Info (even an updated phone number) and Use Original Diagnosis are equally as important.

echoes long ago 02-18-2014 12:48 AM

Lit Love is correct. that is what it says. it was put out by the state of new york as a guide on how to fill out the short form. i suggest taking the time to read it before you fill out anything on your form. its very short.

LIT LOVE 02-18-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1051756)
Lit Love is correct. that is what it says. it was put out by the state of new york as a guide on how to fill out the short form. i originally posted it on here. i suggest taking the time to read it before you fill out anything on your form. its very short.

If you posted the link prior to me and I should have been crediting you, I'm sorry. I came across it in my own research and posted it in the stickies a few years ago.

walkingtaller 02-18-2014 05:27 PM

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I was having a hard time trying to decide whether to put "OBSESSIVE COMPUL" since the entire word won't fit versus simply putting "ANXIETY" since obsessive compulsive disorder falls under social securities grouping of "anxiety related disorders" (much the way Depression falls under "Affective Disorders" and I think that is my secondary diagnosis on my file with them).