NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arnold Chiari Malformation & Syringomyelia (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/)
-   -   Just diagnosed with Chiari type I (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/201582-diagnosed-chiari-type.html)

mimiRN 03-01-2014 09:00 AM

Just diagnosed with Chiari type I

Hi:) I am looking for any information or suggestions regarding chiari type I.

Here's a little if my history:
Started having slight numbness/sensory loss in my rt ring finger (attributed to carpal tunnel?). Also have on off toe and foot numbness. Feelings of off balance, dizzy etc on occasional, and decreased sensory feelings like temperature in my hands and feet. Lastly, noticed slight tongue numbness near the tip. No history of headaches, other than occasionally minor more hormonal related.

I have been worked up by a local neuro. He first mentioned carpal tunnel of my right hand, and also briefly mentioned possible ms. I had blood work (all normal except low vitamin d level 22) and MRIs of brain, c & t spine.

I had my follow up appt yesterday. He informed me of the chiari malformation. My report states: borderline right cerebellar tonsil. Extends 5mm, no significant crowding.

He was not very informative. He said it was rare after I asked if its common. He said there is no treatment except surgery:( which I will try to avoid at all costs. However, how do you treat the symptoms? I feel like I'm at a loss and don't know what to do to help myself get better. He didn't state any limitations either??
I'm considering a second opinion so that I can get more education and to answer my many questions.

Does anyone one know is it common to only have one tonsil involved? Also, how do you treat your symptoms?

Thank you:)

sam2012 03-06-2014 05:51 AM

Hi - I cant give You any advise but i have gone through Decompression Surgery

Hi

I am 41 years old and have suffered from Hydrocephalus since 1980 and have had numerous brain operations and shunts and shunt revisions. In 2000 i was diagnosed with Arnold Chiari Malformation and had to have decompression surgery as well as the insertion of two more shunts. I was doing great for the next eight years whereby my old shunt of 1980 had to be replaced. Years passed by and there was further surgery that was required in 2013 whereby the old shunt of 1980 (of which was replaced in 2008) had to be repaired and a metronic shunt had to be inserted. This has been left alone and will only be switched on should the other shunt fail. I am doing much much better and dont suffer from any more headaches, drive again, am back at work again, married with a son. Life is great. I pray that you get all the ansears that You are looking for soon. I have had the same Neurosurgeon since 1980. What would i do without Him.

Look after Yourself.

Take care,

Samantha