NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Confussion (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/201991-confussion.html)

koolbaby0423 03-11-2014 05:41 PM

Confussion

I was rear ended about 4 weeks ago. My head was slammed into the head rest with a hair clip in it. I was told I have post concussion syndrome. I have noticed memory issues, fatigue, headaches, and yet EEG, MRI, CT show nothing I don't understand I am so confused. I was recently in the hospital for 3 days because my boyfriend said I started shaking and jerking like I was having a seizure so he took me to hospital and was admitted. Everything was negative I don't understand. I feel like everyone thinks I am faking except my family and friends who know I was very sharp and none of this is normal. I struggle with speech at times to get my thoughts out. Please someone tell me I'm not crazy that something is actually causing this:confused:

poetrymom 03-11-2014 07:05 PM

Hello and welcome

Hi Koolbaby,

I am really sorry to hear of your accident and current struggles. This is a really good place though and kind people will answer your questions.

What you mentioned sounds like PCS. I can't speak to the problems you had with shaking, but the brain is so complicated and injuries can make us do uncontrollable things.

I had problems stuttering and brain fog early on in recovery. The most important thing you can do right now is to get plenty of brain rest. I hope someone helped you with that, but if not, brain rest means limiting screens, TV, your phone, computer -- no reading, or anything that involves complicated thinking, and this includes driving. You'll find that if you overdo it with screens or stress you will get more symptoms. The injured brain can't take stress.

You might find that conversations are tiring, going into stores with the harsh flourescent lighting is hard. Avoid those stores for now and all the confusion. It might just wear you out.

So, audio books or gentle music, is good. Solitare, petting a pet, folding clothes -- things with your hands is good for brain rest. (Brain rest can be really boring)

Check out the vitamin stickie here. These things are no cure all, but it will help aid you in brain recovery.

You are in early days too, so hang in there. 4 weeks in seems early for the diagnosis of PCS, but no matter what, brain rest.

Please know, your symptoms are real. We all know that. Your brain can heal. It takes time -- like learn to measure it in terms of weeks and months.

No one can tell you how long all of this takes, but keep asking your questions and we will help you.

Take care,

poetrymom

koolbaby0423 03-11-2014 07:10 PM

thank you

thank you for your kind words I do have some help but I am scared and curious how do I deal with this.

Mark in Idaho 03-11-2014 07:34 PM

koolbaby,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Poetry has given you good comments. Read the posts to Sarah, it has the same information you need.

Everything you are experiencing is real. They are all real Post Concussion Symptoms. The imaging and test you had rarely show anything worthwhile. Concussions are very subtle injuries that rarely show up in tests. The symptoms are real and the way a concussion is diagnosed.

As mentioned in Sarah's thread, your upper neck is likely injured. It can make concussion symptoms much worse.

We are here for you so keep in touch.

My best to you.

koolbaby0423 03-11-2014 08:42 PM

Thank you I am dealing the best I can and decided to just reach out