NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   6 months post concussion (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/202008-6-months-post-concussion.html)

Benztof 03-12-2014 07:39 AM

6 months post concussion

Hello all. Thank you for reading my post.. 6 months ago i was playing rugby and landed on my head.. I was concussed and had an MRI and CAT scan which showed blood on the back left side of my brain.. Before that incident I had received 3 previous concussions, all spread a few years apart.. The first 2 weeks after the last concussion were hell.. I felt like i was always floating, fatigued, and just generally out of it.. After 3 weeks i returned slowly to the gym and was symptom free for 5 months.. I was feeling very good up until last week when my symptoms finally returned.. I have been feeling very dizzy in crowded situations and extremely fatigued.. I went back to the neuro today and had a CT scan which showed blood in the same part of the brain.. He compared it with the original scan and hes not sure if its new blood or the same blood that never dissipated.. He told me not to worry and to just rest until i feel better and have another scan in a few weeks.. Im awfully worried that i went from feeling great to feeling terrible so quickly.. I dont recall hitting my head.. Maybe ive been exercising too much? Any thoughts would help.

P.s.- im an English teacher in South Korea so there are some issues with communication.. My Korean wife was with me today but not during the initial concussion

Mark in Idaho 03-12-2014 11:38 AM

I suggest you take some time off from the exercising. You may be pushing too much blood through your body and head. Minor blood usually dissipates within a week or so. You may have a more intense bleed that you should give more time. So, take it easy for a month or two.

My best to you.

Benztof 03-12-2014 06:33 PM

Im a bit confused.. Is it possible that blood has stayed in the surrounding membrane for 6 months? The doctor seemed to be unsure if it was new blood because when comparing the CT scans, the blood was in the same place and almost the same size.. Thank you

Mark in Idaho 03-12-2014 07:19 PM

From my research, pooled blood starts to be broken down and absorbed within a week or so. If this is a new bleed, it is a focal injury, not a general concussion that would be more likely to cause your dizzy in crowds symptoms. A focal injury will usually cause symptoms related to the location of the injury.

An MRI/MRA may be a better imaging system.

Either way, I suggest you slow down with the exercise.

Benztof 03-12-2014 08:49 PM

Thanks for the reply Mark.. Im curious to what happens if the blood isnt fully absorbed.. I was symptom free for 5 months and exercising everyday.. Quite suddenly i started feeling light headed again and dizzy.. Seems a bit strange that i was asymptomatic for so long.. I can recall hitting my head lightly at the gym but nothing too serious.. At least it seemed that way.. So, what happens if the blood is not fully absorbed? Ive tried to do some research but cant find that specific answer.. A concussion that i had 10 years ago left me with calcium deposits.. Is it possible the CT scan is showing the calcium deposits as blood? Im awfully confused..