NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Windows XP support stops in April (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/202042-windows-xp-support-stops-april.html)

Jomar 03-13-2014 12:11 PM

Windows XP support stops in April

[After April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows XP. Security updates patch vulnerabilities that may be exploited by malware and help keep users and their data safer. PCs running Windows XP after April 8, 2014, should not be considered to be protected,

Without critical Windows XP security updates, your PC may become vulnerable to harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software which can steal or damage your business data and information. Anti-virus software will also not be able to fully protect you once Windows XP itself is unsupported. ]
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ofsupport.aspx

If you are adventurous and/or don't want to buy another Microsoft Operating system.. there are free operating systems.
Called Linux distros/distributions many styles some are nearly the same as windows xp.
If you know how to download and burn an ISO CD /DVD you can get many to try called a LIVE CD, they run from the DVD drive so you can test it out to see if you like it.
Or you can buy a cd/DVD for a low cost.

Here is more info and the page with the major distros -
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

If you have any questions just ask.

Right now I am using Xubuntu on my older laptop and just installed PCLinuxOS (MATE) on my desktop, but I have sampled many distros over the years.

Icehouse 03-14-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 1056723)
and just installed PCLinuxOS (MATE) on my desktop, but I have sampled many distros over the years.

This intrigues me. Tell me more about it before I download? :D

I googled some images of it...clean.

Jomar 03-14-2014 01:09 PM

screenshots & links to more info than I can type out ..
https://www.google.com/search?q=PCLi...en-US:official

I will say that some distros "find" & connect to wireless easier than others. It all depends on the wireless adapter inside the machine.

The easy go to distro for wifi is Ubuntu, it has always found & connected wifi for me and I have tried out at least 15 of the various top distros.
If you don't care for the ubuntu default look you can click to use the old style classic or use the repositories to get XfCE or other "styles"

Xubuntu is based off Ubuntu so wifi worked connected nicely on Dell laptop.

I use ISO burner, very easy.
http://www.freeisoburner.com/

be sure to set burn speed as slow as you can for best results. I did some on automatic/default speed and they did not work.

tnthomas 03-15-2014 11:32 PM

Jo*mar,

It's good to see another Linux user around, and now is a good time for XP users to migrate onto a more secure enviornment.

I use Debian for my main desktop machine, CentOS for another work station and Fedora on a laptop. Linux-Mint is another user-friendly version, is based on Ubuntu(which is Debian based).

jprinz99 04-08-2014 09:14 AM

have an older laptop with XP. Was thinking of getting a new one so now is the time. Question: apple macbook vs. MS 8.1 pro and cons.

I use my computer as a hybrid for personal and some work. I know I need access to Office and assorted secure portals, but other than that I don't know enough to ask. Advise??

also- will the new provider/supplier of the laptop put my old files, etc onto my new machine? Can they set me up to have a cloud presence, like email, calendar, contacts etc? {I just want to basically slap down my credit card & walk out ready to work - sort of like magic ;) )

mrsD 04-08-2014 09:26 AM

We are upgrading to a new machine this week. I am in a tizzy about it too. A faster computer with a nice processor, a terrabite of harddrive space, enormous RAM compared to our 2003 computer! But we did find Win 7 for the fast model of Dell we wanted....on Newegg!
Dell itself charges $50 MORE for Win 7 on their models on their site!

I sent an email to Rovio about my Angry Birds download and histories, and they gave me a link to their page online about moving to a new machine. In that page, is their confession, that they themselves do not have Win 8 either, and only up to Win 7.
I think that is quite revealing of a huge business not using the most recent operating system for Windows!

I too would like it to work with the wave of a wand..but looks like we will be struggling with it all for a while. We run back ups on all our machines. The backup industry has become very affordable. I would like to clone my whole harddrive now, so as not to lose programs. sigh.

Jomar 04-08-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jprinz99 (Post 1062188)
have an older laptop with XP. Was thinking of getting a new one so now is the time. Question: apple macbook vs. MS 8.1 pro and cons.

I use my computer as a hybrid for personal and some work. I know I need access to Office and assorted secure portals, but other than that I don't know enough to ask. Advise??

also- will the new provider/supplier of the laptop put my old files, etc onto my new machine? Can they set me up to have a cloud presence, like email, calendar, contacts etc? {I just want to basically slap down my credit card & walk out ready to work - sort of like magic ;) )

I suggest finding a reputable small computer business locally to do this kind of service for you, I don't think the big box type store provide services like this, but you could ask..

There is a business called Geek Squad around here they will come to you to provide personal pc fix or service. They could also assist/advise on what type of new pc to get. You might search for something like that in your area.

Icehouse 04-09-2014 06:56 AM

FYI: Newegg.com still sells lots of laptops and desktops with Windows 7 if you have the need to abstain from Windows 8

:D

edit: I see that mrsD already mentioned that....well, reinforcement...LOL

Jomar 04-11-2014 03:57 PM

Well I am now trying out Mint Maya LTS (long term suppoort) :cool:

so far is is doing everything the way I like it to..
And the webpages are rendered nice and clear.

And updating it doesn't mess anything up LOL

I don't know why but updates for me with PClos mess up the videos drivers and I can't or don't want to spend time trying to fix that..

mrsD 04-12-2014 12:54 PM

Well....it is done.... our son decided to put the old harddrive in the slot of the new computer, and then moved off the documents etc that way. It was faster and easier.

My Angry Birds came over perfectly... whew! I really need that game for my sanity! LOL

All my photos and graphics are here now, and music.

But still getting used to the new keyboard. :o