NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   SCS & Pain Pumps (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/)
-   -   EMG Test Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/202498-emg-test-question.html)

Delores10 03-24-2014 09:16 AM

EMG Test Question

I have been scheduled to have an EMG / NCS on Tuesday. I have read a lot of horror stories about after affects from having this test done. I am so afraid that I will come out of this test with worse problems than I already have. Has anyone had this test done and if so did you have any bad after affects? The doctor is wanting me to have the test done on my left leg, low back, all upper extremities. He has requested this because I was in an auto accident 2 yrs ago that resulted in 2 slightly bulged discs in low lumbar with weakness in left leg with periodic pain. Whole body test seems a bit extreme?

chrelsey 03-24-2014 11:21 AM

EMG Test Experience

I had my EMG/NCS done in early December of last year. It was not the most pleasant test I have ever had, nor the worst. It was never utterly painful - more of an uncomfortable, short-lived pain. I did not have any after-effects from the test whatsoever - once it was done, it was done, and it didn't negatively effect any of my normal pain or exacerbate any of my issues.

My Neurosurgeon ordered the test to try and determine which of the three messed-up discs in my back was causing the worst of my lower back and leg pain, so that he could do a fusion on just that one, rather than a three-level fusion. The test came back relatively normal, and therefore was not helpful in determining the worst of the three discs. In light of that, he recommended giving the Spinal Cord Stimulator a try in hopes of buying me some time before the inevitable spinal fusion down the road.

Wishing you the best!

=Becky

Mark56 03-29-2014 09:42 AM

Hoping that EMG went well

:hug:Yes, it can be uncomfortable...or more. I've had a lot of them. The good thing is that done by the right doc they are very helpful diagnostically.

Hoping for ya, :hug:

eva5667faliure 03-29-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark56 (Post 1060062)
:hug:Yes, it can be uncomfortable...or more. I've had a lot of them. The good thing is that done by the right doc they are very helpful diagnostically.

Hoping for ya, :hug:

this is true
as all began with the EMG
reveling many nerve issues
one might have
my circumstances
i have continued nerve
related problems
my problem
i can only be treated for
the mechanical problems
and many there are
and i am unable to
take any of the drugs
issued to patients
unfortunately i have the latter
of problems
example he last drug Lyrica
oh how scary
blisters in mouth
nails and skin on hands and feet
changed brittle rough
blisters on hands no fluids in them
dry then peel

it was a test that was uncomfortable
more after ACDF Anterior Cervical Disctectomy Fusion
and remember we all have different threshold for pain
non evasive i believe it also tells a good neurologist
important information
i hope this also helps
may it be a short road

St George 2013 04-03-2014 07:27 AM

Hey there Delores :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delores10 (Post 1059059)
I have been scheduled to have an EMG / NCS on Tuesday. I have read a lot of horror stories about after affects from having this test done. I am so afraid that I will come out of this test with worse problems than I already have. Has anyone had this test done and if so did you have any bad after affects? The doctor is wanting me to have the test done on my left leg, low back, all upper extremities. He has requested this because I was in an auto accident 2 yrs ago that resulted in 2 slightly bulged discs in low lumbar with weakness in left leg with periodic pain. Whole body test seems a bit extreme?

Did you have the test done Tuesday ?

How'd it go ? Did they give you any results then ?

Just asking because I/we care about you :)

Debi from Georgia

ShaggyChic_1201 09-26-2014 11:36 PM

Can one take anything before an EMG

I'm no lightweight when it comes to pain, but my last EMG (2006) was horrific. It is show damage and that led to successful neurosurgery.

But now it's 5 years later...Though I promised myself I'd never have another, it may be in my future. Does anyone know if taking a benzo or Tramadol would skew the results?

:hug: gentle, pain-relieving hugs

Rrae 09-28-2014 04:25 PM

hi Shaggy

That's a good question. I will admit that it has been tempting for me to take an anti anxiety pill prior to a procedure. Its not a good idea tho unless doc says so. During a lot of procedures your BP & heart rate are monitored closely. (Not sure on the emg)
If it drops too low they may end up not doing the test and rescheduling it. A test like this one relies on your motor reflexes, and if your senses are dulled b/c of the meds it probably will affect the diagnostic procedure and end up.working against you.

Sometimes some form of sedation is given on certain procedures. That would be a good question to ask your medical team.
Self medicating is never a good idea unless cleared by doctor.

Wishing you the best for your outcome!
Caring,
Rae
:grouphug: