NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Going for my first steroid infusion (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/202555-steroid-infusion.html)

ker0pi 03-25-2014 06:26 PM

Going for my first steroid infusion

I am starting my first 3 day course of steroids tomorrow and wondering what to expect?

I have not been right since the break in my refills for my Ampyra and though better I'm still sliding my feet rather than picking them up. I now have a fabulous squeezing with severe left side pain around my ribs which upon examining my neuro noticed had a significant lump under them.

Went to my GP who ordered x-rays that showed a sizable mass under my left ribs and am getting referred for a CT.

Meanwhile the pain has been intolerable and now includes a squeezing of my pelvis and as of this morning blind spots in my vision on the left side.

Hope the steroids help with all this tightness and pain and that the CT doesn't amount to much.

NurseNancy 03-26-2014 10:34 AM

this sounds concerning kerOpi. i'm glad your drs are on it and ordering tests.
i hope the roids work and you start feeling better.

let us know how you are.

ker0pi 03-26-2014 01:38 PM

Feeling a bit strange after the first infusion. My vision seems extra crisp, all the colors seem more dramatic and sharper.

Extra shakey/spaszy but that's to be expected.

Tried my first Gabapentin last night, slept great!! Has worn off and starting to feel all the stinging pain again.

I'll keep you posted how the next few days go.

The worst part so far is that I have the strangest taste in my mouth, it's making everything bitter. The nurse said it was normal and not sure how long it will take to go away.

nemsmom 03-26-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ker0pi (Post 1059478)
Feeling a bit strange after the first infusion. My vision seems extra crisp, all the colors seem more dramatic and sharper.

Extra shakey/spaszy but that's to be expected.

Tried my first Gabapentin last night, slept great!! Has worn off and starting to feel all the stinging pain again.

I'll keep you posted how the next few days go.

The worst part so far is that I have the strangest taste in my mouth, it's making everything bitter. The nurse said it was normal and not sure how long it will take to go away.

Glad there has been some help so far!

Yes that taste is awful! For me it lasted a couple hours and the only way I could get rid of it was to suck on a Halls menthol cough drops, several right in a row until it wore off.

Hope everything turns out good for you! Lots of :hug: while you're waiting.

riderfan3169 03-27-2014 04:21 PM

Hello,
I am on day 3 of my first 5 day course and I have the metal taste in my mouth too. Very flushed feeling and no appetite
Hang in there
Chris

SallyC 03-27-2014 06:47 PM

You hang in there too Rider..:hug:

ker0pi 03-28-2014 10:08 AM

Going for day 3 today. So far the horrible taste in my mouth is the most frustrating, everything tastes weird. Then there's the insomnia, I already wake up 3-5 times a night and that's about doubled. Then there was the spinal migraine it triggered.

But on the positive side I am walking so well I'm only using my cane when I go outside! I'm hoping the affect continues for a while and I get this awesome walking for a while. Sliding your feet instead of picking them up is so frustrating. :grouphug:

NurseNancy 03-28-2014 05:30 PM

i hope that each day that does by you will feel better and better.

tkrik 03-28-2014 09:57 PM

I hope you continue to improve. Lemon drops and other hard candy helps with the mettalic like taste in your mouth. I also drink lemon water and/or sucked on a lemon slice and it helps.

Please let us know how the rest of your testing goes.:hug:

ker0pi 03-29-2014 01:13 PM

I'm feeling great but as of today, first day without the infusion I am having an increased heart rate when I do anything other that sit or lay down.

Is this a withdrawal symptom? I did not get a pill taper.