NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Creative Corner (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/)
-   -   Embroidery design... (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/202581-embroidery-design.html)

Dr. Smith 03-26-2014 10:27 AM

Embroidery design...

1 Attachment(s)
I usually don't think of this as terribly creative, as much of what I do is adapting original artwork by others into embroidry designs. I guess there's some creativity in choosing colors & fabrics, modifying the art, and some of the other fidgeting (compromises) so it digitizes properly/well (better); I just don't usually think of it that way. :Dunno:

This one is different; there was no suitable original art, so I had to start from scratch.

I have a technical background, so many of my quilt & embroidery designs can get... technical. I have a tendancy to push the sewing machine (and design software) to—and beyond—its limits. This doesn't always work out in practice, so I often have to go back and make compromises. This was one of those times.

I wanted something particular and as exact as I could make the software and machine do—the 4th Doctor's TARDIS. If that last phrase lost you, there's nothing wrong with you—it's Doctor Who nerd stuff.

The research was easy enough; every Doctor Who fan and his/her aunt Nelly has a website detailing every aspect of everything Whovian to the Nth degree (which relegates me to the status of rank amateur). Drawing it up in Corel was no problem; I've been drawing/working with technical drawings my whole life. Digitizing... is where the finessing came in. The digitizing software for our sewing machine can't do a fraction of what the stripped-down version of CorelDraw that comes with it can do. I had to redo the drawing a number of times because my accuracy and attention to detail were a bit too... ambitious. :o

The result was not what I envisioned, but the best I could push the machines to do, and better than any TARDIS embroidery designs I've seen so far. If I could afford a professional setup, I might be able to do better. The dimensions may not be perfect, but the proportions are as close as possible. As designed the embroidery is about 4 inches tall, but since it is drawn as a vector, it can be resized to (theoretically) any size.

The image was generated directly from the digitizing software; it looks much better (clearer) when seen embroidered, as do the colors.

Doc

Lara 03-26-2014 06:04 PM

wow, that's very clever especially as it's only 4 inches tall. I can only imagine how huge it is on the inside. ;)
I really liked the 4th Doctor, Tom Baker. I think he was my favourite if one can have favourites. I probably watched more episodes from that period than the later ones.

Good job.

Dr. Smith 03-27-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 1059532)
I really liked the 4th Doctor, Tom Baker. I think he was my favourite if one can have favourites.

Of course one can—arguing about which/whose portrayals stick out in our minds as the definitive characterizations is half the fun! ;)

Doctor Who—Tom Baker

James Bond—Sean Connery

The Lone Ranger—Clayton Moore

Lois Lane—Noel Neill

Miss Marple—Margaret Rutherford

Sherlock Holmes—Basil Rathbone

Doc

Lara 03-27-2014 01:38 PM

OK. So we must be a similar age. :D

Believe it or not they actually used to play re-runs of the Lone Ranger series when TV first came to Australia. (that and a whole lot of shows that wouldn't be shown in this day and age. :o )

I did like Noel Neill but also loved Margot Kidder.

There was a more modern Sherlock Holmes that I enjoyed. No idea who the actor was but it was UK made. I loved the detail in the sets.

I love Poirot for the same reason. I could watch Poirot over and over just for the sets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_in_Australia
Dr Who in Australia

Dr. Smith 03-28-2014 05:55 AM

Wow, you've had better access to the series right from the get-go. We were introduced in the late 70s when our PBS (Public Broadcasting System) ran 3rd Doctor (Pertwee) in late afternoons—I believe a season/year after they had run in Britain, but I could be mistaken. We followed (as we could) from then until Peter Davison (couldn't get past his mis-casting; it was still too soon after his All Creatures/Tristan Farnon role, which was running concurrently here). Things were sporadic after that; they moved broadcast time to Fridays at 11pm. We got more serious again when they ran the series from the beginning (Hartnell & even the Peter Cushing movies), but that late Friday time slot was still difficult, and the begging... (PBS fundraising)

Oh, the begging... THE BEGGING... :rolleyes:

Doc

Living_Dazed 05-24-2014 10:42 PM

That's great! I think it's creative. Your work looks really good. How London did it take?

My daughter is a superwholock. She fell in love with dr. Who while recovering from back surgery.

Jace