NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   New Here. Elevated B12??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/203092-elevated-b12.html)

Pixel22 04-08-2014 05:45 PM

New Here. Elevated B12???

My doc is on vacation, but her lab sent out my recent blood test results. My B12 is 1934. The only supplement I take is a multi-vitamin. She thought my symptoms on burning feet and numbness sounded like PN, but wouldn't that mean my B12 would be low?

Dr. Smith 04-08-2014 06:09 PM

Not necessarily

There are other factors that could account for a high B12 level. For some, see the thread What does healing feel like? beginning around post #9.

Doc

beatle 04-08-2014 06:57 PM

It may be high because you are taking too much (it won't hurt you though). Do you supplement with B12 or take a multivitamin?

mrsD 04-08-2014 07:08 PM

There is really not much in a multivitamin. This test should be repeated, in the future without any vitamin intake. (stop it for a month).

High B12 present when there is no definite supplements, can signify certain disease states. The B12 itself is not harmful.
But the high level may point to problems with the bone marrow, kidneys, liver or leukemias. So doctors would want to retest that and perhaps look further.

beatle 04-08-2014 07:41 PM

Sorry, I meant B-complex.

Pixel22 04-08-2014 07:53 PM

Thanks for your replies. I am only taking a multi-vitamin with 75 mcg B12 and 4 mg B6. With the doctor thinking my symptoms could be neuropathy related, I was very surprised to see this high of a level. I had taken my multi-vitamin that morning, but it seems unlikely it could raise the level that high. I'm not wrong that this is very high then?

Lewie 04-09-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel22 (Post 1062334)
Thanks for your replies. I am only taking a multi-vitamin with 75 mcg B12 and 4 mg B6. With the doctor thinking my symptoms could be neuropathy related, I was very surprised to see this high of a level. I had taken my multi-vitamin that morning, but it seems unlikely it could raise the level that high. I'm not wrong that this is very high then?

What other mediactions or supplements are you taking? There aer many that can casue nueropathy. Also having high B12 may not be bad for you but like Mrs.D said the high level may point to problems with the bone marrow, kidneys, liver or leukemias

Pixel22 04-09-2014 04:27 PM

I take a multi-vitamin, red yeast rice for high cholesterol and a low dose of an anti-anxiety med. My doctor called today and said that since my other tests look normal, it may just be that my diet is high in vitamin B. She still thinks my symptoms sound like they are neuropathy related and I have an appointment with a Neurologist in May. I guess there isn't much more for me to do until then. I've lost a fair amount of weight and I'm exhausted much of the time. I have been under a great deal of stress, so that may account for some of that. I'm a little frustrated that she brushed it off so quickly.

Pixel22 04-10-2014 01:00 PM

I do have a question. Can a person with a high B12 level (not supplementing) have neuropathy? It seems my level would be very low if this is what is truly going on with me.

mrsD 04-10-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel22 (Post 1062652)
I do have a question. Can a person with a high B12 level (not supplementing) have neuropathy? It seems my level would be very low if this is what is truly going on with me.

Yes, there are many many causes of neuropathy besides low B12.
Toxins, vaccine, drugs, cancer...etc. Hereditary progression with certain genetic profiles.