NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Brush Teeth 3 times a day. Any harm? (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/203326-brush-teeth-3-times-day-harm.html)

fistula_help 04-15-2014 02:50 PM

Brush Teeth 3 times a day. Any harm?

I get cavities every year even though I brush my teeth twice a day. In addition, I floss my teeth every night. The only thing I haven't tried is to brush my teeth after lunch at work. Or wear mouth guard at night (I don't grind but dentist recommended me to get one)

Are there any benefits to brush teeth 3 times a day or wear mouth guard at night?

Thanks

ginnie 04-15-2014 02:53 PM

Hi fistula

I brush three times a day. No issue with my dentist. I floss too. ginnie:grouphug:

Bryanna 04-15-2014 04:21 PM

There is no harm in brushing your teeth 3 times a day so long as you are using a very soft toothbrush. Twice a day is usually what is recommended because people have a tendency to brush too aggressively and/or use a medium or hard toothbrush both of which can contribute to gum recession, sensitive teeth and weakened enamel making the person more prone to tooth decay.

There are a few things you can do to help reduce the incidence of tooth decay....

1)Ask your hygienist to demonstrate how to brush and floss your teeth properly. Even if you use an electric toothbrush... sometimes just being shown how to angle the brush and floss properly is very helpful :)

2)Brush your tongue or use a tongue scraper before you go to sleep at night to remove food debris.

3)Change your tooth brush every 3 months so that the bristles remain pointed rather than blunted.

4)Use a type of floss that is easy for you to get in between all of your teeth without discomfort.

5)Do not use mouthwash that contains alcohol, unfamiliar ingredients, dyes or preservatives as these things reduce the salivary flow and pre-dispose you to tooth decay.

6)Eat a diet rich in whole foods and reduce or eliminate refined foods.

7)Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep bathing your teeth as well as the interior of your body :)

If your dentist recommended a night guard then he may be seeing signs of an unnatural wear pattern on your teeth. This is referred to as occlusal or incisal wear. People who have a bruxism habit tend to be more prone to tooth decay as the grinding weakens different areas of the teeth causing the enamel to become thin or fragile.

Keep in mind... it is not the number of times that you brush and floss your teeth that prevents cavities .... it is the technique that you use to do those things that make the difference... along with your diet and water consumption.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fistula_help (Post 1063748)
I get cavities every year even though I brush my teeth twice a day. In addition, I floss my teeth every night. The only thing I haven't tried is to brush my teeth after lunch at work. Or wear mouth guard at night (I don't grind but dentist recommended me to get one)

Are there any benefits to brush teeth 3 times a day or wear mouth guard at night?

Thanks