NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   About Multivitamins Absorption (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/203404-multivitamins-absorption.html)

steindd 04-17-2014 09:54 AM

About Multivitamins Absorption

Hello there,

I'm trying to understand how much of the nutrients are really absorved by the body in this multivitamins. By MultiV I mean those that have most of the nutrients needed daily.

Is it known if these nutrients go through absorption and are used by the body?
Or, on the contrary, it is suspected that none of it is absorbed.

Also, would you know if it's possible to measure the amount of nutrients that are absorbed in a pill like this? I tried to find a scientific article that would talk about this, but much of them are just confusing.

Please share some insights on this topic.

mrsD 04-17-2014 10:02 AM

I believe the biggest factor is YOU.

If your stomach does not have proper acid levels, many things will not be absorbed properly. If you have Celiac, gluten intolerance or Crohn's or any other malabsorption issue (bariatric bypasses, or removed small intestine), absorption is affected.

Then you can consider if the company you are buying from has quality items...follows GMP practices, etc. If there is no quality control part to their webpage, I'd have to wonder if they are a quality outfit.

I tend to remain with trusted brands. Puritan's, NOW, Doctor's Best, Country Life, Lef, Jarrow,Nature's Bounty are some.

zygopetalum 04-17-2014 11:42 AM

I've wondered about that too, I stopped taking my morning multi with my Starbucks coffee because I read that it might interfere.

It seems to help me to cut them in half and take part in the morning and the rest with dinner. I know it helps because I get leg and foot cramps from mineral depletion due to my COPD inhalers and they are milder if I take some in the evening. The cramps are also due to potassium depletion which is not in the vitamin but magnesium also plays a role and it seems to deplete throughout the day.

judi

Dr. Smith 04-18-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zygopetalum (Post 1064188)
magnesium also plays a role and it seems to deplete throughout the day.

Have you heard about/considered slo-mag or similar continuous/sustained release magnesium supplement?

Doc

mrsD 04-18-2014 05:37 AM

There is no absorbable magnesium in a typical multivitamin product. Magnesium stearate listed on the label is not absorbed, and any magnesium oxide they may include is also poor.

If you have cramping at night specifically, I'd try the magnesium lotion applied to where you have the cramps. It is wonderful!
Morton Epsom lotion, at WalMart or online at Amazon.com
Just apply a little bit (about a quarter's diameter). A little goes a long way.

razzle51 04-22-2014 03:27 PM

I have a question why do vitamins make you eat more .... they need to give you energy as activity not eat ....

zygopetalum 04-22-2014 04:06 PM

Well, what's it doing there if it is not absorbable? :mad: something else to rip us off. I looked and it is only listed as 13% MDR anyhow. It must be a really good placebo effect then because something seems to work.

I would need a lot of magnesium lotion as they can occur anywhere in my foot or leg, hands, stomach, etc.

I am afraid I would get a laxative effect from the slo mag and don't need that.

Guess I will eat more nuts...stupid meds, grumble.

judi

mrsD 04-22-2014 04:10 PM

You would apply the lotion once a day each day to a different body part. Some will stay in that spot and some go into your system and circulate around and help that way. Once you do it every day you will notice a global effect. In my case it lowered my hypertension to a level where I only need a small dose of beta blocker instead of the 3 high doses of 3 other drugs I was previously using.

zygopetalum 04-23-2014 04:14 AM

Thanks, I will try some. I hope it might help lower my BP too as I had to go on a diuretic in addition to Diovan after I started taking Symbicort. the latter has given me a wider pulse pressure and a tendency for my systolic to rise more with stress or exercise and I don't like it.

judi