NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   What do you think? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/203884-what-do-you-think.html)

Charlie2015 04-29-2014 02:00 PM

What do you think?

Hi Everyone,

I want to ask your opinion on something.

There's a high chance that I have Ms.. (only a Godly miracle can make the LP results be clear...) Anyhow..

I just finished my undergraduate in Biochemistry.. Originally I was planning on doing my masters on cancer research but after the whole MS drama happened I decided to go to neuroscience..

I know I love to be in a lab... doing experiments... finding new mechanisms and stuff but I'm not sure if the MS is gonna be on my way..

I had an inner ear infection (which now the doc says it could have been an MS attack) in 2011. It lasted about 28 days. Had severe vertigo, double vision etc. ... then I was normal up until Dec 11, 2013 where my lower body got numb suddenly... lasted about 5-6 days then started to fade away. Other then that the symptoms haven't bothered me much.

now my question is: Do you think its a good idea to pursue a career in neuroscience research or should I just find a sedentary job and try to move on with life?

Cheers,

C

Erika 04-29-2014 03:14 PM

I'd say go after whichever you have the most passion for, which sounds like neuroscience. Dragging your self to a job that you don't like isn't going to be of benefit, whether or not you have MS.

As for doing lab work, I did a lot of that sort of thing over the years, and the MS didn't really put to many limitations on it. Just a couple of years ago I did a week of dissection work in an anatomy research lab and did just fine. A lot of research stuff is done in pairs or groups, so if there is something that your body doesn't allow you to do, usually someone else in your group can do that part.

With love, Erika

NurseNancy 04-29-2014 03:22 PM

hi charlie,

the advice i would give you is to pursue whichever you would want if it turned out you didn't have MS. none of us (dx'd with MS) know which way our disease path will turn out and how fast.

i was dx'd 11 yrs ago and my neuro thought i'd be in a WC in 5 yrs. yes, i'm symptomatic and have made some mobility accommodations (cane, walker...) but i'm still independent and drive. i've been lucky, and stable but it hasn't been a walk in the park either.

i'm a (retired) nurse and both areas would excite me. but, i would be really excited with neuroscience. that's just me. ask which would excite you the most. they both have so much to offer society and to the person doing the work.

jprinz99 04-29-2014 03:50 PM

I agree- do whatever fires up your passion - either way it involves research, grant writing, teams and lab time.

Personally, I think neuroscience is one of the hottest fields in science/medicine. There are so many sub specialties, only one of which is MS or other neuro-degenerative disorders. There is a vast amount of unknown just waiting to be explored and conquered. Sort of like where cancer research was in the mid 70s.

IF (and that is a mighty big 2 letter word) you end up with MS it would give you the added "connection" to research. But the choice is yours. You still have time to choose, and could always change specialties later if you wanted. I don't think MS would get in your way too much, but each person's MS is unique to them.

Good luck and good for you!

JoanB 04-29-2014 06:19 PM

Assess the risks

Seems to me that you're worried that you'll go through the schooling but at some time be unable to continue with your career. Well, what would be worse--that, or settling for some job below your abilities, and realizing later that you could have had your dream, but passed it by? I think just almost everyone would say that "could have been" causes far more regrets than "shouldn't have tried."

SallyC 04-29-2014 08:23 PM

I'm with every one else... GO for it Charlie!!!:)

Debbie D 04-30-2014 03:54 AM

I am of the opinion that we should never allow any disease rule our lives, if possible. MS research has come a long way in developing disease modifying drugs that slows down progression of the disease. Before these drugs were on the market, most patients were told that within 20 years they'd be in a WC. Now my neuro tells me that most patients will die of another disease before being profoundly affected by MS.

So follow your bliss!!

kicker 04-30-2014 09:17 AM

Go for it. Everyone is SSSSOOOO different. We had a poster with MS who worked at NASA. Talk about technical work!!!

I'm PPMS. in a wheelchair but never a spasm or pain. I only have one hand but can do very fine motor tasks an Occupational Therapist would not dare ask for.

Non-MSers could get the education, but could get hit by a bus before they use it. No one knows what the future will bring ( kind of like getting married!).

TXBatman 04-30-2014 11:41 AM

I think everybody else about has covered it, but I will add my voice and say live your life, not your disease. Some people have almost immediate disability with MS, many others go year with almost no symptoms. You have no way of knowing which will be the case for you. So go on with your life and when the disease puts an obstacle in front of you, figure out how to adapt and overcome it. MS is a very unpredicatble disease. Don't try to change things before you really know what those obstacles may be.

Erin524 04-30-2014 03:30 PM

In the immortal words of Yoda...

https://24.media.tumblr.com/9dfe10d2...vipbo1_500.gif

(in other words, do what you want to do, what sounds like it would be the most fun for you to do. Jobs are more enjoyable when they're fun, and something you really want to do)