NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Cymbalta or Duloxetine ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/203987-cymbalta-duloxetine.html)

MikeK 05-02-2014 09:37 AM

Cymbalta or Duloxetine ?

Since my insurance company doesn't want to pay for Gralise (time release gabapentin) they are having me try Duloxetine.

I am still taking the Gralise in the evening and now the Duloxetine in the morning.

Can anyone who has tried the Duloxetine tell me how long it took them to adjust to it. Specifically the drowsiness & foggy feeling. Its been 2 weeks and I'm still in a fog for what feels like 6 hours after I take it.

FWIW I'm not liking it, in fact I swear its increasing the PN pain.

Thanks

Lewie 05-02-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 1067135)
Since my insurance company doesn't want to pay for Gralise (time release gabapentin) they are having me try Duloxetine.

I am still taking the Gralise in the evening and now the Duloxetine in the morning.

Can anyone who has tried the Duloxetine tell me how long it took them to adjust to it. Specifically the drowsiness & foggy feeling. Its been 2 weeks and I'm still in a fog for what feels like 6 hours after I take it.

Thanks

cymbalta inflamed my nerves. worst pain I have everbeen in.

Theta Z 05-06-2014 09:29 PM

Sorry to hear you are not doing okay with the duloxetine/Cymbalta.

I've been taking it for 9 days, the PN pain is so much better, sleepy/groggy a little, but seems to help a bit to relax me, which I need big time.

MikeK 05-07-2014 08:17 AM

small update

6 days later I have found waiting until I eat breakfast until taking my meds seems to have reduced the foggy drowsiness somewhat. I haven't noticed any decrease in pain during the day but the increase in pain at the end of the day has returned. I guess my fight with the insurance to get Gralise approved will continue this month.

en bloc 05-07-2014 08:59 AM

If the Gabapentin works for you, why not just take it throughout the day (until the time release is approved...or even if it isn't approved)?

MikeK 05-07-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by en bloc (Post 1068030)
If the Gabapentin works for you, why not just take it throughout the day (until the time release is approved...or even if it isn't approved)?

Thats probally where I'm headed. Its a shame if it comes to that due to the insurance the Gralise has treated me well. Very few peaks of pain when its time for a pill.

Nebulous 05-07-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

I never experienced drowsiness or fog with this medication but I can tell you that it took me about a month before it kicked in. If you think that the Cymbalta might be a good fit for you I'd stick with it for a little while longer as some side-effects can dissipate after a few weeks. How much are you taking? If you're not starting at 30mg I would try that and see if side-effects subside.

However, having said all that, I find that Cym is great at masking muscular or myofascial pain but I don't find it that it helps my nerve pain at all.

Have you tried R Lipoic Acid yet Mike?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewie (Post 1067260)
cymbalta inflamed my nerves. worst pain I have everbeen in.

Interesting. Didn't make mine worse afaik but certainly hasn't helped. Otoh I can barely feel my muscle pain anymore which is a mixed blessing because I don't know where to massage :confused:. But at least I'm off the opiods now!

Dr. Smith 05-07-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Can anyone who has tried the Duloxetine tell me how long it took them to adjust to it.

How Long Do Antidepressants Take to Work?
Quote:

The most commonly prescribed modern antidepressants include SSRIs — such as Prozac, Lexapro, Celexa and Paxil — and SNRIs — such as Pristiq, C[y]mbalta and Effexor. Although the claim is made that some people may be able to start to feel less depressed within 2 weeks of taking one of these kinds of antidepressants, most people won’t start experiencing the full positive effects of the medication until 6 to 8 weeks after beginning it.
You shouldn’t be overtly concerned if you experience any of these side effects while taking an antidepressant, but you should still tell your psychiatrist or doctor about them. Some side effects may go away on their own once your body adjusts to the medication. Others may not, and may be addressed through an adjustment of your medication dose or when you take it.
Doc

Theta Z 05-07-2014 10:50 AM

Yes, true of all antidepressants. Good reference, Dr. Smith.

Interesting for me with the Cymbalta is the pain masking was the first sign to me that it was having some effect after a week, which was welcomed.
Thanks to the good doc who Rxd it for that as an adjunct to its antidepressant action,
upon which I am still awaiting, though a bit less uncomfortably so.