NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Heading to get my neuropsych testing results now (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/204044-heading-neuropsych-testing-results.html)

Living_Dazed 05-03-2014 01:30 PM

Heading to get my neuropsych testing results now

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all

So nervous, stress, hoping for some light, some hope in these results

Will post tonight about it.

Peace, wellness, and friendship,

Jace

The sky is so pretty todayAttachment 8193

berkeleybrain 05-03-2014 03:28 PM

Best of luck-these things are always so tricky. Sometimes more than you want, or less than you need.

Hockey 05-03-2014 07:57 PM

Yes, listening to my report was hard, but it was the best thing I ever did in connection with my TBI. Knowledge is power.

Oddly, listening to the neuro-psychologist describe the new world my battered brain had forced me into was sort of a relief. At least I stopped thinking I was crazy.

Living_Dazed 05-03-2014 08:54 PM

Hi All,

Even though it's 18 months I feel emotionally that I'm still pretty new. Maybe it's because realizations keep happening for me. ? I'm not sure.

I still have denial, guarded closely to my heart that I share with my mind. I've been wanting someone to tell me it's not so bad.

My results were not what I was hoping for. The area in the brain controlling vision is very bad. She said I still have healing time but that it will not likely it will be enough to get my visual part up to where it's sufficient for driving or working. Same with my memory, processing.

I'm so flooded with information and emotions I can't remember it all.

She said I will not teach in a classroom again. Working a job with the variety of my issues won't happen. That I will need to get things together for SSD.

Possibly someday I could tutor at home one on one.

So many thoughts. I wanted to hear of a therapy or pill. I knew from the otologist (I have a brilliant doctor in Chicago) that this does not heal-the vision issues I have, but my brain may make work arounds. I did improve but plateaued 10 months ago. I'm so thankful I did improve because I could not hardly walk.

I'm done for tonight. Thank you for the support and friendship. All of you are a wonderful part of my new life.

Jace

anon062314 05-03-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Living_Dazed (Post 1067432)
Hi All,

Even though it's 18 months I feel emotionally that I'm still pretty new. Maybe it's because realizations keep happening for me. ? I'm not sure.

I still have denial, guarded closely to my heart that I share with my mind. I've been wanting someone to tell me it's not so bad.

My results were not what I was hoping for. The area in the brain controlling vision is very bad. She said I still have healing time but that it will not likely it will be enough to get my visual part up to where it's sufficient for driving or working. Same with my memory, processing.

I'm so flooded with information and emotions I can't remember it all.

She said I will not teach in a classroom again. Working a job with the variety of my issues won't happen. That I will need to get things together for SSD.

Possibly someday I could tutor at home one on one.

So many thoughts. I wanted to hear of a therapy or pill. I knew from the otologist (I have a brilliant doctor in Chicago) that this does not heal-the vision issues I have, but my brain may make work arounds. I did improve but plateaued 10 months ago. I'm so thankful I did improve because I could not hardly walk.

I'm done for tonight. Thank you for the support and friendship. All of you are a wonderful part of my new life.

Jace

:hug: for you Jace.

Hockey 05-03-2014 09:28 PM

I have one word for you: Neuroplasticity.

Right now, you're in shock. I know, I've been there.

However, try not to give up hope. The healing power and adaptability of the brain is amazing. Research is also showing that improvement continues for a lot longer than we used to think. I'm seven years out and I can do things now, I couldn't manage 18 months ago. Get all the therapy you can. It DOES help.

My prognosis was dismal. Am I back to normal, no. However, I'm a heck of a lot further than the neurologist ever thought I'd get.
:hug:

Hockey 05-04-2014 09:53 AM

How are your spirits, today?

I got out my report and reread it last night. It can still make me cry.

But, you know what, it's not describing who I am now. Thanks to Attention Processing Training, etc..., I've made progress. Without the neuro-psych, I wouldn't have even known I needed APT.

Plan for the worst, but work for the best.

Thinking about you.

MiaVita2012 05-04-2014 02:06 PM

You will improve

I am very sorry. It is tough esp when MDs tell us what we will be able to do with our future. Really they do not know how much we can improve. All they know is scientifically it is proven that we cannot be 100% the person we were before the trauma. Time is the BEST result.

I had 4 impairments in the zero percent. As time went by and I have been relearning life and everything included. I first had to learn my body & mind and keep loving myself and look to a Higher Power to guide me.

Learning your body is learning what your body & mind can tolerate. And to teach us to stay away from the triggers. You will start to get clarity after you experience it. Your life will start forming around what you are learning from your body and mind. Remember to always love yourself and know that there is hope of improvement.:grouphug:

Living_Dazed 05-04-2014 06:13 PM

Hi All,

Just blue today letting my mind wrap around this. Hugs to u all. I just need a few days to ? I know you all understand.

Jace

berkeleybrain 05-04-2014 06:42 PM

Be well and kind to yourself.