NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   Celiac symptoms linked to black mold? (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/204089-celiac-symptoms-linked-black-mold.html)

Jimbo12 05-05-2014 12:13 AM

Celiac symptoms linked to black mold?

So about a year and a half ago, I moved into a new high rise apt in Miami?
Was pretty good until about 2 months ago, when after a leak was discovered, coming from one of the bathrooms.
The leak had been going on for some time. After exposing some of the drywall, it showed large portions of black mold throughout the drywall. And being in South FL, black mold can run rampant!
I had a mold inspector come and do several tests, confirming that nit was there toxic black mold eating the drywall, but many spores found in the air as well.
At about the same time, I noticed symptoms relating to Celiacs or a gluten intolerance starting!
I travel a lot for work... And when symptoms were bad around Xmas, I was in Colorado for two weeks following.... With NOT ANY of the symptoms present!
As well, noticed it better on other trips as well.
It seems to progressively get worse... And my question is... Is the presence of black mold able to trigger Celiac's disease or like symptoms??
Please advice!
Thank you!

pabb 05-05-2014 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo12 (Post 1067581)
So about a year and a half ago, I moved into a new high rise apt in Miami?
Was pretty good until about 2 months ago, when after a leak was discovered, coming from one of the bathrooms.
The leak had been going on for some time. After exposing some of the drywall, it showed large portions of black mold throughout the drywall. And being in South FL, black mold can run rampant!
I had a mold inspector come and do several tests, confirming that nit was there toxic black mold eating the drywall, but many spores found in the air as well.
At about the same time, I noticed symptoms relating to Celiacs or a gluten intolerance starting!
I travel a lot for work... And when symptoms were bad around Xmas, I was in Colorado for two weeks following.... With NOT ANY of the symptoms present!
As well, noticed it better on other trips as well.
It seems to progressively get worse... And my question is... Is the presence of black mold able to trigger Celiac's disease or like symptoms??
Please advice!
Thank you!

There is wheat in the dry wall mud, that is probably your problem.

Jimbo12 05-05-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabb (Post 1067597)
There is wheat in the dry wall mud, that is probably your problem.

...and how does this effect my bowels? I mean... I am not chewing on the drywall. Lol
Airborne particles?

pabb 05-08-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo12 (Post 1067752)
...and how does this effect my bowels? I mean... I am not chewing on the drywall. Lol
Airborne particles?

yes, particulate matter that you breath in, goes down your throat, to your gut. also, lands on counters etc, and can be ingested from there.

Lara 05-08-2014 02:59 PM

FYI Jimbo,
If you do a Full Forum Search, you'll find quite a number of posts regarding Black Mold.

Search feature is near the top of the screen under the NeuroTalk banner.

Stephie 02-12-2015 05:49 PM

The answer is yes. Mold toxins (mycotoxins) can increase gluten sensitivity. For the sake of your health, you need to get away from that mold.