NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Cymbalta/duloxetine helping neuropathy pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/204209-cymbalta-duloxetine-helping-neuropathy-pain.html)

Theta Z 05-07-2014 05:03 PM

Cymbalta/duloxetine helping neuropathy pain

I am newly back on duloxetine for about 9 days now.
I was surprised to note a significant decrease in the neuropathy pain at just 7 days.

Clearly it is a masking effect on the pain, I can still feel it is there, it's just not sharp. Yet welcomed relief.

The antidepressant activity of it remains to be seen, as is the course with most antidepressants, wait over weeks to see any effect.

Startup side effects have been minimal in my experience.

Also ordered today pharma gaba to hopefully help with anxiety and jitteriness.
It is noted to have a calming effect.

Dr. Smith 05-08-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theta Z (Post 1068112)
Also ordered today pharma gaba to hopefully help with anxiety and jitteriness.

I'm not familiar with that product or what's in it. Is there any concern about taking it with duloxetine and serotonin syndrome?

Doc

Theta Z 05-08-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 1068154)
I'm not familiar with that product or what's in it. Is there any concern about taking it with duloxetine and serotonin syndrome?

Doc

Apparently no serotonin action reported in the info.
One would not take it with rx benzos.
Good question. Thanks for asking.

Theta Z 05-11-2014 11:40 AM

Hmm ... not good. Cymbalta neuropathy pain relieving effect seems for me to be diminishing this weekend. Yikes.

MikeK 05-12-2014 08:26 AM

My Dr has me trying Cymbalta/duloxetine also & like you I'm not liking the results. I take it in the morning and by the evening any effects have worn off and I'm in pain. Before taking it I had good luck just taking Gralise, I did not have the peaks of pain I'm back to having. I see my Dr next week and I think this "experiment" needs to end. If the insurance won't approve the Gralise I will go back to the gabapetin 3X a day.

Good Luck

hopeful 05-12-2014 12:48 PM

Just a quick note. If Cymbalta does not give you spectacular results ask your doctor to take you off it. It did work well for my pain but my dose needed to keep being increased and I was left with no emotions.

Also, I'm not sure if you have seen my threads on withdrawal from cymbalta but it is horrible. Hence why I say unless it gives you results you can't live without try not to stay on it.

However, the choice is yours just a note of caution.

Theta Z 05-12-2014 01:09 PM

Thanks for the experience and input, which is appreciated.
The doc is to phone me today at end of day, so will see what he has to offer.
The Cymbalta was a good choice of antidepressant for me for the fact of its pain relief as an adjunct. But perhaps otherwise. Thanks again.