NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   advice (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/204236-advice.html)

elitza 05-08-2014 07:03 AM

advice

Hello, everyone.
I am new to this forum and I'll be glad if you can help me. It was done in winter, our doctors said I need surgery but I refused it.
I have severe sciatica due to l4-l5 disc herniation. The pain started in the mid September last year. Just fed up of taking medicines I wish just to get rid of all this. I do McKenzie exercises, taking supplements, but it doesn't seems to help much.
I am so confused and do not know what I am supposed to do now...

dspine 05-08-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elitza (Post 1068208)
Hello, everyone.
I am new to this forum and I'll be glad if you can help me. It was done in winter, our doctors said I need surgery but I refused it.
I have severe sciatica due to l4-l5 disc herniation. The pain started in the mid September last year. Just fed up of taking medicines I wish just to get rid of all this. I do McKenzie exercises, taking supplements, but it doesn't seems to help much.
I am so confused and do not know what I am supposed to do now...

Hello Elitza welcome,5yrs ago i injured my back also l4-5 same symptoms as you.But it took 8 months for me to get authorization from workers comp to see a neurosurgeon,by that time i was so bad i would fall.Finally had the surgery did not help me,by that time i was having same pain on left lumbar long story short the surgeon put me on full disabilty.In your case i would not wait any longer and go for the surgery, that can be your only option for pain relief.I now have radiculopathy on both legs,foot drop left leg,problems r/ankle need a cane for assistance.My cervical fusion also failed.Stopped all pain meds wich were just masking the underlying problem,and causing health issues i did not need.Please ask the surgeon what type of product will be used in the fusion,if he says BMP-2 ask how will he perform the surgery posterior or anterior.I was so desperate i did not do research on the BMP-2 wich 2yrs later found out he did my surgery in an off-labell manner,meaning the way he aproached the surgery through the posterior/lateral side are not FDA aproved methods wich is illegal and dangerous.The FDA only aproved BMP-2 for an anterior aproach.So please do your homework an ask questions i do not wish anyone go through what i am now going through.GOOD LUCK :hug:

edugirl 05-15-2014 06:52 PM

advice... kind of

I am new also! I don't have any great advice, as I'm suffering from the same thing, but I do agree to ask a lot of questions and get a couple of opinions. I had a cervical fusion after 4 years of chronic pain in by neck and not being able to lift or use my left arm. After the surgery and since, I have felt amazing (at the cervical level). I do think I am going to get surgery on this disc and will schedule it on Wednesday. I can no longer walk for more than a couple minutes, and I understand and sympathize with the pain. I wish you the best with whatever you decide. I can keep you posted on my surgery also.