NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Medication/painkillers induced headaches (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/204642-medication-painkillers-induced-headaches.html)

Lewissmh 05-19-2014 08:30 AM

Medication/painkillers induced headaches

I know concussion is very different from the everyday common headache. But with someone who has been suffering with tension headache as their main symptom, I have come across something called "medication induced headaches". I know i am guilty of taking regular painkillers as part of daily routine but perhaps i am doing more harm than good and forcing my brain to rely on medication.

I am going to stop taking regular painkillers and see what happens. I am interested to know what others think?

SarahSmile0205 05-19-2014 09:10 AM

I could see where that would happen... everyone reacts to pain killers differently.. for me, I have sensitivity to sound... so if I were to take a pain killer the extra sound would make my headache worse... does that make sense?

Living_Dazed 05-19-2014 09:21 AM

My Neuro and pain doctor did not want me on headache/migraine meds. They really worked at getting to te core of my pain. I have occipital neuralgia on both sides, vestibular migraines and ocular migraines, senses enduced headache/migraines.

Isn't it a wild ride with headaches after a head injury...powerful pain. Wow.

Good luck to you!

Peace and wellness,

Jace

postconcussion 05-19-2014 11:56 AM

Hello!
I am sorry to hear about your headaches. I also struggled with this question of rebound headaches.

I had migrane/ tension/ cervicogenic headache (neck/whiplash) constant for years. Very painful and I know a lot about headaches:) After a long time of taking Tylenol Extra strength every day I decided that i may be having a rebound effect.

The doc said that no, otc meds such as ibuprofen and tylenol do not cause rebound. 'Heal your Headache' the book also listed those as the non rebounders. (I do not believe that this book is all good, only some parts).

I decided to experiment and stopped the tylenol. It was very painful. Yes, I did notice my pain went down around week two but only in the slightest. Maybe a number or half. But there was time that I said... This is the rebound effect!

So, maybe a slightest effect but if your are suffering from the pain I would say not to worry about taking those pills. But! other narcotics do cause this, hopefully get off of those as soon as possible.

Take Care!

Lewissmh 05-19-2014 12:34 PM

Hello thank you all for responding. Some interesting points. I have been taking regular paracetamol around 3 doses a day. I felt I was becoming to reliant on them and found myself taking some as a preventative measure. I have recently been prescribed 10mg Amtriptyline 1 tablet nocte and think they are helping. I am going to stop the painkillers for a couple of weeks and then start taking them when the pain is too much.

Good luck in your recovery.