NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Creative Corner (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/)
-   -   "Kate" A Poem (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/20486-kate-poem.html)

Wiix 05-26-2007 12:54 AM

"Kate" A Poem

I heard a bit of this poem when I was much younger and never forgot it. Highlighted in Bold is the part that has stayed in my head for probably 30 years but I never read the entire poem. This poem was found in Kate's belongings after her death in a Nursing home. :o

"Kate"

[A poem about humanity]

What do you see nurses
What do you see?
Are you thinking
when you are looking at me
A crabbit old woman
not very wise,
Uncertain of habit
with far-away eyes,
Who dribbles her food
and makes no reply,
When you say in a loud voice
'I do wish you'd try'
Who seems not to notice
the things that you do,
And forever is losing
a stocking or shoe,
Who unresisting or not
lets you do as you will
with bathing and feeding
the long day to fill,
Is that what you're thinking
is that what you see?
Then open your eyes nurse
You're not looking at me.
I'll tell you who I am
as I sit here so still,
As I use at your bidding
as I eat at your will.
I'm a small child of ten
with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters who
love one another,
A young girl of sixteen
with wings on her feet,
Dreaming that soon now
a lover she'll meet:
A bride soon at twenty,
my heart gives a leap,
Remembering the vows
that I promised to keep:
At twenty-five now
I have young of my own
Who need me to build
a secure happy home.
A young woman of thirty
my young now grow fast,
Bound to each other
with ties that should last:
At forty my young ones
now grown will soon be gone,
But my man stays beside me
to see I don't mourn:
At fifty once more
babies play round my knee,
Again we know children
my loved one and me.

Dark days are upon me,
my husband is dead,
I look at the future
I shudder with dread,
For my young are all busy
rearing young of their own,
And I think of the years
and the love I have known;
I'm an old woman now
and nature is cruel,
'I' is her jest to make
old age look like a fool.
The body it crumbles,
grace and vigour depart,
There now is a stone
Where once I had a heart:
But inside this old carcase
a young girl still dwells,
And now and again
my battered hearth swells,
I remember the joys,
I remember the pain,
And I'm moving and living
life over again,
I think of the years
all too few - gone too fast,
And accept the stark fact
that nothing can last.
So open your eyes nurses,
Open and see,
Not a crabbit old woman,
look closer see ME

Alffe 05-26-2007 05:49 AM

I've always loved this poem Wiix...thanks for posting it. :hug:

Wiix 05-26-2007 07:00 AM

The truely sad part is how TRUE is has become. And Lord I hope I NEVER end up in a Nursing Home. If I do, it'll be many years from now BUT still, is THIS what we all have to look forward to? I hope that I am active and somewhat healthy right up to the end. These long, drawl out declines really, what a total Misery it has to be. :( But I am learning how memories really do transport us back to better times.:o

Has anyone ever wondered if ALL that is going to happen in your life has happened already? And the rest of your life is just going to be endless days of boredom and rejection by society? I am in my mid 50's and am starting to experience it already. :( You can tell when people just have better things to do that to be around you.:( More and more of your time is by yourself. :( Thank GOD for our animals.

befuddled2 05-28-2007 04:20 AM

This poem is so true and brought tears to my eyes because it reminded me of my mom who passed in a nursing home. It's something I cannot think about happening to me or else I would be down all the time.

befuddled2

Wiix 05-28-2007 09:57 AM

Mine did too but she had no choice, she needed round the clock care. BUT the good thing was, she was only there less than 2 months. She was fiesty and kicking the whole time up til about the last week when they had her sedated.

Years of heart problems and surgeries left her almost totally immobile. If she hadn't hated me so much I would have stayed with her in her home. The funny thing about that was I still don't know why she hated me. I always loved her and always will.:o Man, this is so hard to think about. :( I'm getting a lump in my throat.

How do we resolve these unfinished issues with our parents? :( Everytime I tried she'd bring out the Big Guns and start shooting. :confused: :(

befuddled2 05-28-2007 03:53 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the unresolved issues you had with your mom. I have a boat load of guilt for not doing better by my mom. It does get a lump in my throat everytime I think about it.

befuddled2

Wiix 05-28-2007 04:09 PM

Thanx b2. Well, we just have to live with it I guess. I TRIED but so many roadblocks were put in my way plus the fact she seemed to really like to hang on to her anger. But then I think too that maybe she just couldn't deal with it all.

Trying to unravel a lifetime of slights and hurts takes commitment on both sides and she just wasn't willing at all. It was just her nature. :(

Yet I always had the feeling that deep down it really wasn't anything I did. I honestly think I was just and unwanted pregnancy. She seemed to reject me my whole life and was always looking for reasons not to be around me. She dumped a lot of hurt on me too. I just want to know what it was that I did. or did I do nothing, just Try to live my life the best I could with ZERO Love and support from my family.

She never encouraged me and my sibs to be close. As a matter of fact she seemed to do the opposite. And to this day I have to live with that legacy. It makes me very sad. :o I have a sister who I barely speak to and a brother I have no contact with at all. :(

befuddled2 05-28-2007 06:42 PM

:hug: for you.

befuddled2