NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Can concussion cause delusions? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/205122-concussion-cause-delusions.html)

Dogged 06-01-2014 06:59 AM

Can concussion cause delusions?

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm so glad to find a support group for this condition.

I have a question. Has anyone else ever had or heard of the possibility of hallucinating and becoming delusional from a bad concussion?

I have had several concussions in life. Last week I was in an accident & hit my head very hard. About an hour later, I began having moments when I was completely confused and thinking I was somewhere else. I was in an ER, but I began having frequent episodes in which I thought I was in the grocery store or at work. The medical staff paid no attention to these odd problems I was having. During one episode, I walked out of the ER and into traffic.

These hallucinations and delusions stopped the next day. But now I am dealing with a severe headache and not feeling right. I am also concerned about the odd episodes I had in the ER, after the wreck. Interestingly, the same exact thing happened to me 5 years ago after my head was hit hard. I do not know why my brain becomes delusional after a head strike.

So has anyone experienced this or heard about the possibility of delusions happening after a blow to the head?

Also does anyone have any recommendations on what may help my searing headache? I have been taking Advil & Tylenol, but they don't work.
It is definitely not an option to go to the ER. They treat you like a drug addict if you go there in pain.

Thank you so much for any feedback.

Best wishes
Dogged

Hockey 06-01-2014 08:01 AM

Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry about your crappy - but typical - ER experience. :(

"Psychiatric issues, including hallucinations and delusions, are certainly more common after traumatic brain injury."
Dr. Brian D. Greenwald, MD
from brainline.org

Brian D. Greenwald, MD, Dr. Brian Greenwald is medical director of Center for Head Injuries and the associate medical director of JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute. He is a clinical associate professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Mark in Idaho 06-01-2014 09:12 AM

Dogged,

Head aches are often the result of a subtle upper neck injury. Try icing your upper neck. I have a recipe for making your own crushable ice packs in the Vitamins and Supplements sticky at the top.

Sometimes, head aches need to just be endured while the brain heals. Aspirin and Tylenol combined may help.

My best to you.

Lightrail11 06-02-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogged (Post 1072995)
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm so glad to find a support group for this condition.

So has anyone experienced this or heard about the possibility of delusions happening after a blow to the head?

Hi and welcome to NT.

I had a number of hallucinations/confabulations while in the hospital recovering from my TBI. These may have been exacerbated by the morphine drip or other medications I was on at the time.

In any case they resolved after a month or so, I haven't been troubled by them since.