NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Massage - anyone have any good results (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/205678-massage-results.html)

MikeK 06-16-2014 07:12 AM

Massage - anyone have any good results

Used to enjoy a massage, would feel very relaxed, but the first one I tried after developing PN didn't end well. Caused me extreme pain a few hours later but I was worse then. My wife offered to send me for one for fathers day and I am on the fence as what to do any what kind, swedish, trigger point, deep tissue and so on

Any advice ? Thanks

Kitt 06-16-2014 09:05 AM

Sounds familiar. No deep message or other for that matter for me. Had an awful experience. :rolleyes: Never wanted one but it was done and did not hurt at the time but afterwards I really paid for it and still am.

mrsD 06-16-2014 09:39 AM

I am another who cannot tolerate massage. I had one once and it activated my shingles pain in my neck and arms. Took several days to recover from that!

No more for me!

echoes long ago 06-16-2014 10:53 AM

i cant stand for anyone including myself even touching my feet

Sitke 06-16-2014 11:28 AM

Now I'm getting nervous! my physiatrist is sending me for massage twice a week, first appt today!

The thought of a stranger massaging me....ACK!! can't stand anyone except my kid touching my feet :)

Kitt 06-16-2014 12:57 PM

:Scratch-Head: Just a thought. Perhaps you need to rethink about going for a message despite what your physiatrist says.

Dr. Smith 06-16-2014 02:30 PM

The two biggest variables I can think of are what kind of massage and where (on your bod). My PN is in my feet, so anywhere else is fine; in fact I depend on myofascial trigger point massage to help control pain in/from my spine, & migraines.

My feet are sensitive, but are also usually swollen with edema. Having that carefully "pressed out" feels good.

Mike, I'm sure you can think of a pleasant alternative. :D

Doc

KnowNothingJon 06-16-2014 02:38 PM

I decided to give massage a try when the muscles in my legs and arms started spasming.

The Massage Therapist and I discussed what sort of massage we should try (I was in favor of concentrating soley on my legs, she was a full body fan.) and ended up settling on a hybrid with most of the time spent on my legs. I had/have knots entrenched in my calf muscles.

She pulled back when I jumped a few times. After it was done we met to discuss the session and talk about more. I have never seen such a look of concern on a strangers face. I made one for the following week, a double session.

The next morning I was sore, but slightly looser. It lasted for a few days, ebbing like the flame of an old candle until Saturday (the massage was on a Wednesday) when it was back to muscles like cables.

The double session was amazing. I was sore the next day, but the slower paced massage with leg emphasis made me happy. I scheduled one more to see if I could obtain progression in relief.

The same therapist all three times. This one was a dud. I have an insurance plan that allows for a few more visits, so I may try again if it gets bad enough. If your pn has any consistent level of extreme tactile sensitivity I'd pass.

If it is not expensive out of pocket I'd suggest trying it.

KN Jon

uglogirl 06-16-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowNothingJon (Post 1076112)
I decided to give massage a try when the muscles in my legs and arms started spasming.

The Massage Therapist and I discussed what sort of massage we should try (I was in favor of concentrating soley on my legs, she was a full body fan.) and ended up settling on a hybrid with most of the time spent on my legs. I had/have knots entrenched in my calf muscles.

She pulled back when I jumped a few times. After it was done we met to discuss the session and talk about more. I have never seen such a look of concern on a strangers face. I made one for the following week, a double session.

The next morning I was sore, but slightly looser. It lasted for a few days, ebbing like the flame of an old candle until Saturday (the massage was on a Wednesday) when it was back to muscles like cables.

The double session was amazing. I was sore the next day, but the slower paced massage with leg emphasis made me happy. I scheduled one more to see if I could obtain progression in relief.

The same therapist all three times. This one was a dud. I have an insurance plan that allows for a few more visits, so I may try again if it gets bad enough. If your pn has any consistent level of extreme tactile sensitivity I'd pass.

If it is not expensive out of pocket I'd suggest trying it.

KN Jon

Hi,

That is exactly along the lines I was thinking is to get a massage with emphasis on the lower body and test the waters. Won't know until try.
:grouphug:

Dr. Smith 06-17-2014 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowNothingJon (Post 1076112)
I had/have knots entrenched in my calf muscles.
The same therapist all three times. This one was a dud.

That sounds like myofascial trigger points.

I've had Myofascial Trigger Point Therapy (MTPT) "Massage" (and I use that term loosely :p) done by certified MTPTherapists, and tried by physical therapists/massage therapists who weren't certified in MTPT, and it made all the difference in the world. As I understand it, this is because the PTs & MTs get an introduction/overview of it consisting of as few as 1-2 hours of MTPT training, while the certified therapists undergo hundreds of hours of training, exams, etc.

You can find a certified therapist by goggling: certified myofascial trigger point therapist [city or state]

Doc