NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Pain relief cream (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/205779-pain-relief-cream.html)

uglogirl 06-18-2014 12:29 PM

Pain relief cream

Good Afternoon Members,

Today I was told about a cream that needs a prescription and it is used for a myriad of things including PN the name of the cream is "KBDGNT". I called the drug store that has it and said I need a prescription.

I called my drug store and they never heard of it. I am wondering if any of you members have heard of or used this cream as I am on a mission to find it.

Thank you.:grouphug:

beatle 06-18-2014 12:40 PM

Ah yes, here we are...

Hi Uglogirl,
Not exactly sure but it could be: Ketamine, Baclofen, Dexamethasone, Gabapentin, Nifedipine, Tetracaine.

The pharmacy should be able to verify the ingredients.

mrsD 06-18-2014 12:46 PM

Compounded creams with individualized ingredients are typically custom made by compounding pharmacies.

They have limited shelf lives, should be stored carefully, and have a special base that is designed to carry the ingredients into the body. (most topical creams do not do this, and remain only on the skin.)

They are expensive and some insurances won't cover them. But some do.

uglogirl 06-18-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatle (Post 1076524)
Hi Uglogirl,
Not exactly sure but it could be: Ketamine, Baclofen, Dexamethasone, Gabapentin, Nifedipine, Tetracaine.

The pharmacy should be able to verify the ingredients.

Thank you Beatle, Did you ever have this compounded cream. I just heard about it today.

beatle 06-18-2014 03:12 PM

Compounding cream

I've tried a couple. The one I am using now containes Ketamine, Amitriptyline, Gabapentin, Tetracaine and the star of the show: Clonidine. I highly recommend it. The downside, as Mrs D said is the cost and that many insurance companies do not cover it (mine doesn't). They really should! :confused:

Dr. Smith 06-19-2014 06:35 AM

uglogirl...

There are many many threads about this cream in the archives, including various mixtures/"recipes". Links to archive searches don't seem to work with this version of vbulletin (the software NT runs on), but you can find them easily...
  1. Click on Search or Search this Forum.
  2. Select Advanced Search.
  3. In the Keyword(s): window, type cream; in the drop-down list below that window, select Search Titles Only.
  4. Select Show Results asThreads.

Three of the longest threads are:
Compounding cream
Compounded Cream
Need recommendation for compounding cream

however I think it would be helpful/prudent to read the shorter threads as well.

Doc

KITTYFOSTAMOM 06-20-2014 02:33 PM

I was told a few days ago by my podiatrist that she would be sending an order for a compound pain cream as my nerve in my foot is still inflamed, even after an injection. The injection helped for about a week, but then the pain returned.

I was prescribed Voltaren cream a couple months ago but never used it. It turns out the pain I was experiencing then was likely neuropathy, I just hadn't been tested yet.

Good luck!

Idiopathic PN 06-24-2014 09:12 AM

I was (and sometimes) on terrible pain from 2011 to 2013. I could not tolerate the touch of the sheets in my skin, or (literally) anything that touches me even the smoothest materials. I could not stand nor walk for too long. I was miserable, plus I have a whole lot of other major health issues. Anyway, in December 2013, my rheumatologist suggested about the compounded cream. Take note, no one among the 7 neurologists I saw ever mentioned about the existence of such cream. It helps me a lot in my pain. Of course, I am also on several supplements. Aside from my regular supplements, soaking in warm water with epsom salt and applying the epsom lotion at bedtime is part of my daily routine. My cream consists of Ketamine, Baclofen, Clonidine and Gabapentin. Its covered by my insurance.

uglogirl 06-24-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN (Post 1077796)
I was (and sometimes) on terrible pain from 2011 to 2013. I could not tolerate the touch of the sheets in my skin, or (literally) anything that touches me even the smoothest materials. I could not stand nor walk for too long. I was miserable, plus I have a whole lot of other major health issues. Anyway, in December 2013, my rheumatologist suggested about the compounded cream. Take note, no one among the 7 neurologists I saw ever mentioned about the existence of such cream. It helps me a lot in my pain. Of course, I am also on several supplements. Aside from my regular supplements, soaking in warm water with epsom salt and applying the epsom lotion at bedtime is part of my daily routine. My cream consists of Ketamine, Baclofen, Clonidine and Gabapentin. Its covered by my insurance.

Hi Thanks for responding. I know what you mean about the touch of sheets on your skin, for that matter, blankets anything. I find when I am having a flair up I am very sensitive to fabric on m feet.

I know what you mean 7 neurologist and not one of them mentioned the compound cream. I can believe it. I am trying to get a prescription over to the compound pharmacy for 2 weeks. It's a hot mess.

Had to go to Pharmacy on other side of town have never heard of them before. For some reason my doctor's office can't get it straight. He never heard of it and was willing to write the prescription I don't know what the issue is now with them.

I am looking forward to this cream and getting relief. Where do you get the Epson Cream you feel that really helps you.

I am glad it helps with your pain and does it help with the burning pain. If so that would be a miracle my toes and feet are always burning.

I just had a flare up and think it had to do with a piece of cream pie I had for my husband's birthday. It was 4 days of misery for me and finally it has calmed down.

mrsD 06-24-2014 06:19 PM

Morton Epsom lotion is at WalMart and online at Amazon.com

Some Walgreen's are now carrying it too.