NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Setback? Headache after general anesthesia (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/205899-setback-headache-anesthesia.html)

mdiane630 06-21-2014 08:57 AM

Setback? Headache after general anesthesia

I got my concussion just over a year ago, but it wasn't diagnosed until ~5-6 months later. Last week I got discharged from the neuro/vestibular rehab - I'm no longer making "significant progress" but they felt I could continue to progress on my own (which is a "normal" course from what I understand). My main symptoms were headaches and dizziness, but by last week, my headaches had a baseline of about 2 on a scale of 0-10, and I was having days where I went for 4-6 hours without any noticeable headache.

On Monday, I had oral/sinus surgery under general anesthesia - I'd put it off as long as I could, but my concussion Dr said I'd be fine. (He didn't site any research, just ok'd the procedure.) I was in the OR for 1.5-2 hours and spent about 5 hours in recovery trying to get over the dizziness. I went home that afternoon and by that evening the dizziness was under control, as was the pain. I slept most of Mon-Tues, but Tues when I got up, I had a headache that won't go away. I couldn't read, watch TV, or spend much time on the computer - just like months ago. The pain has been at a 4-5 (the point where I normally start thinking about taking an Aleve) since Tuesday - over the last 6 months, I've probably taken Aleve 3-4 times. I'm still on pain meds - I took 1/2 dose of hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5/325 Monday and Tues nights w/ promethazine for nausea, and I was taking 400 mg of ibuprofen during the day. Yesterday I switched to just taking the ibuprofen. I've had to sleep in a recliner, and I've been putting heat on my neck - I'm sure it was in an uncomfortable position during the surgery, but that's a different headache than my "concussion headache."

I tried to research PCS and anesthesia before but maybe I should have tried harder. I have an appt with my PM&R/ortho doc on Monday to go over some other results- I finally had an MRI for lingering shoulder pain and found that I have a labral tear, but now I'm more interested in getting this headache under control. I'm supposed to go back to work on Monday.... I've been trying to keep up, which probably hasn't been the best idea, but my boss isn't exactly sympathetic after putting up with my "issues" for a year.

Any tips or shared experiences?

Diane

SarahSmile0205 06-21-2014 05:21 PM

Could the headache be coming from your neck? your traps come up to the back of your head... your muscles on the front of your collar bone come up to around your jaw... Just thoughts..

Mark in Idaho 06-21-2014 05:54 PM

Diane,

I would not focus on the cause of the head ache. You have too many contributing factors to make a determination. I would suggest you just treat is as a head ache and try to go on. Even if it was caused by anesthesia, there is nothing you can do about it.

Have you tried icing your neck ? Heat is to promote blood flow. Icing is to reduce inflammation. I would think the latter is more important.

My best to you.

mdiane630 06-21-2014 09:05 PM

Thanks, Sarah and Mark. I've always made a distinction between my "whiplash" headache and my "concussion" headache. The whiplash/neck area feels better with heat - ice seems to make it stiffer and more painful, but it might be worth trying. I'm also wondering if any of the meds I've been on have contributed to the headache, although I took the lowest possible dose and have gotten off the narcotics after only a couple of nights. I also had to go off some of my supplements and just started back. Mark, I think you're right, there are too many variables! It's ironic that I was worried about pain from the surgery, and it hasn't been a problem at all.