NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/)
-   -   Medications for Fibro (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/205941-medications-fibro.html)

Breia Lee 06-22-2014 01:53 PM

Medications for Fibro

I've had Fibromyalgia for 23 years now (I had a great rheumatologist who recognized it right off). Being diagnosed correctly really helped, but I still struggle with pain meds which actually take away the pain when I'm in a full blown flare.

What have you all found helps? I don't have them often, but I did a week ago, and the pain in my legs was terrible! And I'm used to pain.

Also, what sleep meds really help? I'm on Ambien, but I don't take it often because it stops working correctly if I do. The insomnia is getting worse, so it's time to find a real solution.

Just tried Trazodone-it was awful-enough said. :tongue:

Dr. Smith 06-24-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breia Lee (Post 1077376)
What have you all found helps?

medications for fibromyalgia.

DW has tried different things. As with other pain syndromes, it's a trial & error process that may/often result in a combination of meds, therapies, and techniques rather than one single answer. Also, what has worked for her has changed as time goes by. I sincerely hope you can find a "real solution"; realistically, we must often settle for what works for each of us—a weighing of benefit vs. downside/shortcomings/side effects.

Quote:

Also, what sleep meds really help?
I have other pain issues than FM, but a very low dose "as-needed" tricyclic antidepressant works well for me.

Tricyclic Antidepressants for Chronic Pain

DW does have FM, and used to use the same very low dose "as-needed" tricyclic antidepressant. Recently, she got off of an SSRI, and has been taking L-Tryptophan (a precursor of 5HTP, melatonin and serotonin) to ease symptoms of discontinuation syndrome. Taken at night, this is working well for helping her sleep.

L-Tryptophan

Doc

firewolf3251 09-08-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breia Lee (Post 1077376)
I've had Fibromyalgia for 23 years now (I had a great rheumatologist who recognized it right off). Being diagnosed correctly really helped, but I still struggle with pain meds which actually take away the pain when I'm in a full blown flare.

What have you all found helps? I don't have them often, but I did a week ago, and the pain in my legs was terrible! And I'm used to pain.

Also, what sleep meds really help? I'm on Ambien, but I don't take it often because it stops working correctly if I do. The insomnia is getting worse, so it's time to find a real solution.

Just tried Trazodone-it was awful-enough said. :tongue:

has your doctor give you lycra yet? I've had Fibro for about 25 years , been taking lycra for about 8 years now it works pretty good, I take the Ambien every since it came out sometimes have to take 1/2 or 1/3 of trazodone with it, but taking melatonin with it works better I found out! as always check with your doctor! firewolf (all my children have 4 paws)

Dr. Smith 09-13-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firewolf3251 (Post 1095011)
firewolf (all my children have 4 paws)

Ok, ya got me with that one. Took me a minute....

Welcome to the Monkey House...

Doc

Kitt 09-13-2014 01:11 PM

Welcome firewolf3251. :Wave-Hello:

firewolf3251 09-13-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 1096162)
Ok, ya got me with that one. Took me a minute....

Welcome to the Monkey House...

Doc

thank you everyone!

firewolf3251 09-13-2014 08:31 PM

thank you everyone! I have 3 cats 2 dogs.

anon1028 09-13-2014 09:14 PM

3 cats!!!! my cat spaghetti is my best (sometimes only) buddy :)

Want more but girlfriend says no :(

Neurontin has helped me with sleep but still get those insomnia nights. It helps me with a bunch of things but not enough when I'm out!! maybe should up the dose but hate to do that.

No one has yet to answer my question why spaghetti cries EVERY morning when girlfriend leaves for work. Doesn't he realize by now she'll be back. And why does he bring mouse to door? She can't see through door.

I know..i need to get a life :)

Dr. Smith 09-14-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markneil1212 (Post 1096285)
No one has yet to answer my question why spaghetti cries EVERY morning when girlfriend leaves for work.

No-one has suggested separation anxiety?

Quote:

Some of the behavioral problems triggered by separation anxiety in cats are the same as those seen in dogs: Vocalizing after the owner leaves...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Doc

anon1028 09-14-2014 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 1096319)
No-one has suggested separation anxiety?

Doc

He has two cat houses, a million toys and I'm here when she leaves. That's some slap in the face. Imaging if this stupid head injury improved and I was out during the day too, then he might really flip. He's too spoiled, like this whole generation of cats generation meow :)