NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Mom just diagnosed (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/206462-mom-diagnosed.html)

watsonsh 07-04-2014 05:40 PM

Mom just diagnosed

Hi all,

I am a former NT member/mod. My mom was dx'd yesterday with PD. She is very scared and I thought I would do some reading.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a newbie is appreciated. They gave her levodopa but she is afraid to take it and wants to start with 1 per day even though they told her 3 a day spaced out over 6 hours.

So sorry to read about the loss of Rick, an amazing man when I was on a while back.

Shelley

GerryW 07-04-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelley (Post 1080119)
Hi all,

I am a for peer NT member/mod. My mom was dx'd yesterday with PD. She is very scared and I thought I would do some reading.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a newbie is appreciated. They gave her levodopa but she is afraid to take it and wants to start with 1 per day even though they told her 3 a day spaced out over 6 hours.

So sorry to read about the loss of Rick, an amazing man when I was on a while back.

Shelley

check out www.neurosciencemyths.com. She doesn't have to be afraid of levodopa.

As a UM alum I was surprised to see Rich Rod. Are you related?

watsonsh 07-04-2014 07:04 PM

Thanks Gerry! Will take a look at the link.

LOL Rich Rod... No I have not been on the site in a very long time since he was the coach so I need to change that :)

Looking forward to football season starting up though. Go Blue! I'm not an alum but rather married a lifelong wolverine fan and fell in love with the team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerryW (Post 1080131)

Jomar 07-04-2014 07:12 PM

Oh Shelley Hello girl LOL:D:D

Sorry to see your mom has PD dx, my dad has had it for 15 yrs now.

Just been having more issues this last year tho..
falling and confusion, some hallucinations..
I do the driving for them now.

What kind of symptoms is your mom having?

Jomar 07-04-2014 07:14 PM

Oh and how is your TOS stuff, did you get some of it sorted out?
(or you can post on TOS forum if you want to keep conditions separate..)

watsonsh 07-04-2014 07:19 PM

Hiya Jo!!

So nice to reconnect with you! Nice to be back to this great community even if for not good reasons with my mom. Doing well myself, pretty sorted out. Will post more on TOS. ;)

Jomar 07-04-2014 07:20 PM

For meds , everyone is so different, it is hard to say , mainly for dad we try some thing and see if it helps or has too many side effects..

He hasn't had any trouble with his PD meds.

watsonsh 07-04-2014 07:23 PM

Gerry quick question, was reading the site you gave me. My mothers biggest fear is the nausea. So if she adds in things like mucuna, will it help limit the nausea? She just crumbles at the first sign of side effects from meds. Anything else that could help?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerryW (Post 1080131)

watsonsh 07-04-2014 07:30 PM

Thanks Jo. She is supposed to start the meds tomorrow but is so sensitive and gets freaked out by side effects, especially nausea so once she read the pharmacy pamphlet she is freaking out a bit.

Symptom wise she has a tremor, stiffness, hunched over, no sense of smell...I think that is it, maybe more.

Jomar 07-04-2014 07:44 PM

Last year dad had some PT sessions for leg strength/core, but they always had to have a driver and he got tired of going/hassle of it. He is 82 now.

Many of his falls were after breakfast , if he sat too long at table and then tried to walk he had fainting type orthostatic hypotension .. but if mom got him moving as soon ash he was done eating he was oK..

the last few falls were due to the the freezing /PD shuffle feet & body moving at different times so down like a tree.. hit his head in the same place every time..only got a concussion 1 time tho..